Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ArzanP
Regular Visitor

How to count number of games in the last 5 days for a sports database

Hi Guys

I'm having a real hard time with this and need you help. I'm trying to figure out whether playing too many games in a 5 day period affects team performance. I have a facts table SBRData that lists every game played by a team in the following format

Columns: [Date] , [ Team] , [Performance Metric1] ..... [Performance Metric 30]

What I is a column in this table that for each row, count the number of occurences for TEAM in the last 5 days from the [Date] Value in that row. 

Example

Date              | Team      | Number of Games Last 5 Day

01/11/2017     Boston      0

02/11/2017     Boston      1

03/11/2017     Boston      2

04/11/2017     Atlanta      0

05/11/2017     Boston      3

06/11/2017     Boston      4

07/11/2017     Boston      3

Essentially my goal is to create a table w/ Number of games last 5 days in row and see all the performance metrics to determine the relationships between how rested a team is and all it's performance metrics. HELP

Number of games |  Pts per 100 possesion

0                               100

1                                99

2                                91

3                                90

4                                85

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @ArzanP, try this column

Games last 5 days = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(SBRData);FILTER(SBRData; SBRData[Team] = EARLIER(SBRData[Team]) && SBRData[Date] <= EARLIER(SBRData[Date]) && SBRData[Date] > EARLIER(SBRData[Date]) - 5))

View solution in original post

@ArzanP, where did you put your column at? I placed it in SBRData and it shows me correrct results, max value is 3 over the whole table. I checked the value for some teams and it looked correct.

Here is the copy of the file

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Abduvali
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Hi @ArzanP,

Try using GROUP BY function in Power BI edit mode:

Edit Mode: Select Group ByEdit Mode: Select Group BySelect Operation and Value ColumnSelect Operation and Value ColumnResultResult

Onse done you can use filter selection by dropping your date field into filter options and select Relative Date Filtering and set display last 5 days:

Relative Date FilteringRelative Date Filtering

For more information see link: Group By Function

Hope this help.

Regards

Abduvali

I don't want to group anything. Then I lose all my data. I want a new COLUMN, that counts how many times in the last 5 days a team has appears. And I want that to dynamically adjust based on the date in the row selected.

If it helps. Here is a link to my actual database.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aq4Lt9YzeAaU7FKV0g8S53W_6DhY

Hi @ArzanP, try this column

Games last 5 days = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(SBRData);FILTER(SBRData; SBRData[Team] = EARLIER(SBRData[Team]) && SBRData[Date] <= EARLIER(SBRData[Date]) && SBRData[Date] > EARLIER(SBRData[Date]) - 5))

@ArzanP, where did you put your column at? I placed it in SBRData and it shows me correrct results, max value is 3 over the whole table. I checked the value for some teams and it looked correct.

Here is the copy of the file

Mate this is perfect. I'd hug you if I could. It seems i missed the very last part of the formula 🙂

Vik you are so close. However it's not showing perfectly accurate results. 

Games in Last 5 Days = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(SBRData), FILTER(SBRData,SBRData[Team]=EARLIER(SBRData[Team])&&SBRData[Date]<=EARLIER(SBRData[Date])-5))

I used that and I'm getting values of 5/6/7 (which is literally not possible as they only play 1 game a day)

Do you think that's because the date column is not continuous (i.e It just lists the day the game was played on, and there is no reference to the days in between??) I can make another dynamic date column, and referince it. If I do that , which "Date" in the above formula do I change? 

Screenshot1.png 

Last 5 Days = calculate(COUNTROWS(SBRData), SBRData[Date].[day] - 5)

Capture13.PNG

Very interesting piece of work =D 

Is this what you trying to achieve 

Capture12.PNG

Let me know if it works for you.

Regards

Abduvali

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.