Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Glassford
Regular Visitor

How to count downstream impacts from table containing list of relationships?

I have what I assume is a simple problem, but cannot find the answer for the life of me.

Problem

From a list of incident records contained in 1 table, I need to search a related table which contains relationship mappings for downstream impacts.

Tables

• Table 1:
    • List of incident numbers (unique key) and incident details.
  • Table 2:
    • List of all relationships between records, such as incidents, problems and changes.

Table 1 example data:

Incident NumberDate
IM1234569/5/2022
IM98765410/5/2022

Table 2 example data:

SourceRelated RecordRelationship Type
IM123456C654321Resolved by Change
C654321IM987654Caused Incident
IM987654C321654Resolved by Change

From the example data above, I want to count how many relationships are downstream from "IM123456". From a manual calculation, I can see the number should be 3, I need to recreate this in Power BI.

I have tried various ways to make the table relationship, but none have worked out.

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Arul
Super User
Super User

@Glassford ,

Can you explain your question a bit more?

Thanks,

Arul

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

LinkedIn

So from table 1, I am trying to count flow on impacts.

For the first entry of table 1, IM123456, in table 2, I can see the following flow on impact:

IM123456>>Resolved by Change>>C654321>>Caused Incident>>IM987654>>Resolved by Change>>C321654

For the second entry, the flow on will be:

IM987654>>Resolved by Change>>C321654

Essentially, I want to see what records from table 1 relate to records in table 2 (already solved). Then see what records in table 2 have further downstream relationships which are also stored in table 2.

Another way to put it, I am trying to find which entries in [Table 2.Related Records] are also in [Table 2.Source], then iterate that till no more downstream records are found.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.