Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

always_joy

How to count active employees per month by hired and term date

Hello!

I have a table that provides employee ID, their hired date and term date. By using hired and term date, i need to display how many team members were active per month. 

For example, row 2-4 will be considered as active employees as of January 2021 and row 5-8 will be considered as active employees as of Feb 2021. I am unsure I should create this into dax. Appreciate your help! 

always_joy_1-1657763584299.png

4 REPLIES 4
Saap
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @always_joy 

1. Disconnect your dates table from fact table.
2. Use this measure:

ACTIVE =
CALCULATE( DISTINCTCOUNT( TABLE[Employee ID] ),
FILTER( VALUES( TABLE[Hired Date] ), TABLE[Hired Date] <= MAX( CALENDAR[Date] ) ),
FILTER( VALUES( TABLE[Term Date] ), OR( TABLE[Term Date] >= MIN( CALENDAR[Date] ), ISBLANK( TABLE[Term Date] ) ) ) )

3. Put this measure into a matrix and set visual level filter to be equal or greater than 1.

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @always_joy ,

According to your sample data, for Jan-21, the count of Active Hires seems to be 6 not 3.

Eyelyn9_0-1658124454517.png

In addition, not very clear about this:

If an employee has future term date for the current month, i still want to be able to count that employee

but the current dax is removing all employees with the term date for the current month. How can I update the below dax to capture that?

So could you please provide me with more details about your table and your problem to help us clarify your scenario? Or share me with your pbix file after removing sensitive data.

Refer to:

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly - Microsoft Power BI Community

How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Thank you @amitchandak. A quick question regarding to current employees. 

If an employee has future term date for the current month, i still want to be able to count that employee

but the current dax is removing all employees with the term date for the current month. How can I update the below dax to capture that? Thank you!

Current Employees = CALCULATE(COUNTx(FILTER(Employee,Employee[Start Date]<=max('Date'[Date]) && (ISBLANK(Employee[End Date]) || Employee[End Date]>max('Date'[Date]))),(Employee[Employee Id ])),CROSSFILTER(Employee[Start Date],'Date'[Date],None))

always_joy_0-1657817888018.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.