Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

farbodfbr
Regular Visitor

How to copy credentials to a new computer

I copied the user.zip to a different computer which runs the same pbix file, so they can refresh the data.

I don't want to share the actual credentials values with other users.

Still it asks for the database credentials for resfreshing the data.

What do I miss here?

Database: sql server

Power BI desktop : Version: 2.82.5858.1161 64-bit (June 2020)

3 REPLIES 3
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @farbodfbr ,

If you are using the PBI desktop version the credentials are not saved on the PBIX file but on the machine where the files is saved so you need to enter the credentials on the other computer the first time you run the query.

If you need to have the refreshed information you need to go to the computer and enter the credentials (the first time) or use share the datasource trough the service using a dataset or a dataflow and you can then schedulle refresh.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

@MFelix   Note that @farbodfbr was referring to the User.ZIP file - that's in the Power BI Desktop application folder and holds the credential details. But for (hopefully good) reasons copying that file to a new machine will not transfer the credentials.

@lbendlin  and @farbodfbr ,

I'm not an IT guy but I assume this file is locally setup so only by making a copy + paste will not work on another machine this would be a huge gap in security because people would have access to the credentials only by having that file.

If you don't want the user to get access to the password you can go and make the input yourself, or using the the service and a gateway to create an schedulle refresh so your user would not need to have access to the password but only to the workspace.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.