Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to convert weird integer date and time values

Hello everybody,

I hope someone can help me. I am very new to the whole data analysis world, therefore this is maybe an easily solvable problem.
I am trying to use power query in Power Bi to connect to data from a sql database. This database is the backend database from
a third party software we are using. In some tables the dates and times are in a weird integer format and I want them displayed as normal dates and times. I was able to achieve that for the dates via pyhton. Here an example: 735920 => 2015-11-18 .
I used phyton 2.6.15, the datetime module and the fromordinal() function. But I wanted to automate this with Power Bi. I attached a image from the values.
Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

001.png

6 REPLIES 6

Hi

If you know that 735920 equals 2015-11-18

Then 733904 must be 735920-733904 = 2016 days before

Then you could add a column in your query

= Table.AddColumn(PreviousStep, "Date", each Date.AddDays(#date(2015,11,18), [Process_Date]-735920))

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjc2tjQwUYrVATFNjAzNlWJjAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Process_Date = _t]),
    PreviousStep = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Process_Date", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(PreviousStep, "Date", each Date.AddDays(#date(2015,11,18), [Process_Date]-735920))
in
    #"Added Custom"

/Erik

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your help! 

Apologies for the late response, but I got no notification from the forum.

I am not 100% sure how it works, but it works 🙂 

But how can I convert the time fields? 

Thank you in advance.

Hi

When you say time field do you mean the datatype date or ?

You can just rightclick the header on the table and choose Change type and pick date

or modify the addcolumn step 

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjc2tjQwUYrVATFNjAzNlWJjAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Process_Date = _t]),
    PreviousStep = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Process_Date", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(PreviousStep, "Date", each Date.AddDays(#date(2015,11,18), [Process_Date]-735920), type date)
in
    #"Added Custom"

and specify the datatype as the last argument

/Erik

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

No I mean the "Process_Time" from my source data. And the datatype should be Time, something like 07:15:00 instead of 33213.

Thank you for your help!

Hi @Anonymous

You may refer to below to add a custom column.

1.png

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks for the answer, but I am not really sure if that works, because 33213 was just a random picked example number. I dont know if the time to this number is 07:15:00. I was never able to convert this time to a proper time, because ordinal conversion in Python is only used for Dates. Sorry for the confusion.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.