Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

amansin19
Frequent Visitor

How to convert a column which is in whole number into currency in Power BI DAX

Actually I was working with Power BI on a dataset, and there it was a column where it shows funding column, and there I tried to convert text into whole number, which I was unable to do. 

Because it shows error : it can't automatically convert "text" into whole number. 

Although I did the same for other column here in "Valuation", but can't do it for "Funding".

Additionally, in column Valuation, in summarization dropdown it has "Sum" property mentioned which is not mentioned in "Funding". 

Screenshot

Please guide me through this issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @amansin19 

Thanks for your reply. I checked the funding column again, and then I found that there is "unknown" in it. When non numeric text is converted to numeric type, an error will be reported, so we need to clean the data first. It is recommended that you first replace the non numeric text in the funding column with other values.

vxiaotang_0-1652335706026.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
amansin19
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your comment @tackytechtom @v-xiaotang . But, I tried to do the same replacing "type text" with "int64.type", but it showed error in all the rows.

Hi @amansin19 

Thanks for your reply. I checked the funding column again, and then I found that there is "unknown" in it. When non numeric text is converted to numeric type, an error will be reported, so we need to clean the data first. It is recommended that you first replace the non numeric text in the funding column with other values.

vxiaotang_0-1652335706026.png

Best Regards,

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

tackytechtom
Super User
Super User

Hi @amansin19 ,

This is because your column most likely contains values that cannot be converted to "whole number", i.e. strings. What you could do is go to Power Query, click on the column and change the type of the column there to whole number:

tomfox_0-1651865419500.png

The column will then change its type and the values that were not able to be converted display an error:

tomfox_1-1651865517998.png

From there you have different options. You could click on remove errors (right click on the column):

tomfox_2-1651865573999.png

Note: All rows containing that error will be removed:

tomfox_3-1651865702754.png

Alternatively, you could replace the values with null by clicking on replace error. This will not delete rows!

But first off, you would probably want to find out what these errors are before you remove them. Your table might be really long and it might be hard to find them by scrolling through the column. However, if you right click on that red bar underneath your column name, you can find the keep errors options.

tomfox_5-1651866087629.png

With that you filter the tables for all errors occured with the data type change. When clicking on a cell you get a description of the error, too:

tomfox_4-1651865848812.png

Let me know if this helps 🙂

/Tom
https://www.tackytech.blog/
https://www.instagram.com/tackytechtom/

Did I answer your question➡️ Please, mark my post as a solution ✔️

Also happily accepting Kudos 🙂

Feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn! linkedIn

#proudtobeasuperuser 

Actually, I appreciate your solution and your comment.

But, the problem is that when I apply converting text to whole number in Power Query Editor, all the numbers shows ERROR and further doing any procedure removing any error as you know will remove the entire table.

That is creating issue for me...

Below screenshot is for the same.

maven analytics.jpg

Additionally, I would like to say that your blog is nice, I started following it and it is nice. I would like to have more of your posts on Power BI 🙂🙂....

Hi @amansin19 ,

First off, thanks for your kind words 🙂

This is really awkward... What does the error message exactly say and could you provide a screenshot of that column before you do the data type transformation? Just curious on how the values look like. Also, no problem if you'd want to share the file 🙂

/Tom

#proudtobeasuperuser 

Great 😊 then @tackytechtom , I have shared the Power BI File link. Please see if something works out, I am working on this issue for quite a few days but nothing has worked yet.

Power BI File

Hi @amansin19 ,

I am sorry for my late reply. I actually thought I had replied, but I cannot see the message...

So, I cannot see the data in Power Query since it references a local file but it seems like there was some replacing / substituting happening which transformed the column to a "special" currency column:

tomfox_1-1652200610240.png

Obviously, PBI has problems to convert this to to a number and the only way it can deal with it is as a text data type. I think this is because of both the comma and the dollar sign. So I'd suggest to change the column type to Int64.Type in the third step (changed type) as @v-xiaotang suggested. But I pressume that the query will fail or still not do what you want because of the last steps Replaced Value1 and Replaced Value2. So, I would probably remove them by clicking on the x on the left.

tomfox_0-1652200575342.png

Also, you should have the same issue with valuation. To fix that you can also change the type to "int64.Type" plus remove the first Replaced Value step.

Hope this helps!

/Tom

#proudtobeasuperuser 

Hi  @amansin19 

If you go to Advanced Editor, then replace "type text" with "Int64.Type", will it work?

vxiaotang_0-1652176204489.png

Best Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.