Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to convert a Text data type to Time Data type ( HH:MM) ?

Hi Team,

Quick help needed please

I have created a calculated column based on a column which is in time duration ( Seconds) . 

Column Name : Time Duration ( Seconds) 

Sample Data :     Time Durations(Seconds) 

All those are 5 different records and those are in seconds .  I have used a formulae and calculated a column to convert this seconds into Hours minutes seconds format ,i.e (HH:mm:ss) . 

See the formulae below : 

HHMMSS = FORMAT(TIME(int('Major Incident'[Time to Resolve-Major]/3600), int(mod('Major Incident'[Time to Resolve-Major],3600)/60),int(mod(mod('Major Incident'[Time to Resolve-Major], 3600)/60))))

So Everything worked well till here . The Calculated column(HHMMSS) shown above  is in text format and doesnt allow us to change it to required format Time (HH:MM) . 

Could some one help us to achieve this ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 

You may try below measure:

Measure =
FORMAT ( AVERAGE ( 'Major Incident'[Time] ), "HH:MM" )

If it is not your case,I would suggest you create a new thread on forum so that more community members can see it and provide advice. Please remember to post dummy data and desired result.

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous 

You may create the column as below and then change the format.

Time = 
VAR a = 'Major Incident'[ Time Durations(Seconds) ]
VAR hours =
    INT ( a / 3600 )
VAR minutes =
    INT ( MOD ( a - ( hours * 3600 ), 3600 ) / 60 )
VAR seconds =
    ROUNDUP ( MOD ( MOD ( a - ( hours * 3600 ), 3600 ), 60 ), 0 )
RETURN
    TIME ( hours, minutes, seconds )

1.png

Regards,

Cherie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Cherie,

Thanks for your reply. I have created a column and updated my report . But, I still see some issue . Please check the attached screenshot. 

Time to Resolve-Major is a column which has data in Seconds. So if we take first row, it has 626220 seconds .

I manually divided it which should be 626220/3600 = 173.95 hours . But I am getting 05:57 (hours mins) using your formulae .

Note: Time is the column which holds the data created using your formuale.   Am I doing some thing wrong ? Could you please assist ?

TTR.PNG

Hi @Anonymous 

If you want to change the value to Time format. The value should be in 24 hours.If the hours are >24,it could not be changed to time format.So my formula is calculated in 24 hours.

1.png

Regards,

Cherie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Cherie,

Thanks for your reply. I have understood the 24 hour format . I have one more thing in addition to this. 

Now that we have got time duration in HH:MM format for all records in table . I want to take an average out of it and show that in a Card thats available in Power BI Visuals. 

It is either showing First or Last Duration , but not average. Can you help me with this ?

Hi @Anonymous 

You may try below measure:

Measure =
FORMAT ( AVERAGE ( 'Major Incident'[Time] ), "HH:MM" )

If it is not your case,I would suggest you create a new thread on forum so that more community members can see it and provide advice. Please remember to post dummy data and desired result.

Regards,

Cherie

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.