Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

anild
Regular Visitor

How to connect to cassandra from power BI

What are the ways to connect to Cassandra DB from Power BI.

I have been connecting by using Cdata cloud driver. And I tried by using Datastax ODBC driver but I am getting error while configuring host and port and doing Test.

Any other way to connect to Cassandra from Power BI? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
anild
Regular Visitor

Yes @arify, It is not Power BI error. It is Datastax ODBC error.

I can able to connect with Cdata cloud driver successfully but with Datastax ODBC I am facing above connection issue.

Just I am checking whether we have native connection through Power BI to Cassandra like Azure SQL.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
arify
Employee
Employee

Hi @anild, can you tell us about the error you're getting?

anild
Regular Visitor

Running connectivity tests...

Attempting connection
Failed to establish connection
SQLSTATE: HY000[DataStax][CassandraODBC] (100) Failed to connect to Cassandra database: No hosts available for the control connection

TESTS COMPLETED WITH ERROR.

@anild

In this scenario, since you are using ODBC connection, make sure you configure the DSN properly after you install the ODBC driver. The DSN will appear in dropdown list when you create ODBC connection in Power BI Desktop. 

Please check the document for that third party database: https://docs.datastax.com/en/developer/odbc-driver/doc/odbcdriver/configWinDataSource.html

Regards,

That doesn't look like a PowerBI error. Are you sure the hostname/port you're using is correct and firewall on the server isn't blocking the connection? If you're using a DSN, on the DSN's UI there might be a Test Connection button. Can you make sure you can connect with this DSN with another tool (maybe Excel's "Microsoft Query" or "Data Connection Wizard") or on Test Connection button?

anild
Regular Visitor

Yes @arify, It is not Power BI error. It is Datastax ODBC error.

I can able to connect with Cdata cloud driver successfully but with Datastax ODBC I am facing above connection issue.

Just I am checking whether we have native connection through Power BI to Cassandra like Azure SQL.

From everything I've read, need to explore Spark + Cassandra.  Power BI has built in connector (yes GA for Open Source Apache Spark as of August!, not just MSFT Spark proprietary solution) and it just doesn't appear that ODBC direct to Cassandra is a long term solution, only really good for testing. 

KGrice
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I don't have experience with Cassandra, but thought you might be interested in supporting the community idea to add native support for these types of databases.

Yes, If Power BI has native connection to cassandra  like Azure SQL, Mysql etc.. that would be great 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.