Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

UsePowerBI
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

How to connect to a Sharepoint folder?

Hello

I want to connect to a Sharepoint file via PowerBI.

The file is located in a folder but the putting the url of that folder to PowerBI as Sharepoint Folder, returns a 404 error.

I tried to put the root url of the sharepoint website and it displays only the binary files and not the subfolders.

I tried to put the root url as a Sharepoint list and then it displays the list with the folders but selecting the folder does not show the relevant files but it displays a list with some numbers.

Any idea?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

You are already there, when you say "I tried to put the root url of the sharepoint website and it displays only the binary files and not the subfolders." 

When you see this in the preview screen, just click on Transform button and filter the Path column on your subfolder. Then it queries all files again and it should display your files as well. Note that your URL should look like  https://<tenant>.sharepoint.com/sites/subsite

Let me know if that works! 🙂

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Keep those thumbs up coming! 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi UsePowerBI, 

You could try to clear the permission in Datasource setting at first, then try to connect "Sharepoint folder" like below(use highlight part in path)

537.PNG

Then you will get records with binary file, choose correspond record and expand the binary file, then you will get file table. 

Or you also could try to use "Web" to connect it. You could refer to my previous post for details.(Importing xls file from sharepoint)

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi UsePowerBI, 

You could try to clear the permission in Datasource setting at first, then try to connect "Sharepoint folder" like below(use highlight part in path)

537.PNG

Then you will get records with binary file, choose correspond record and expand the binary file, then you will get file table. 

Or you also could try to use "Web" to connect it. You could refer to my previous post for details.(Importing xls file from sharepoint)

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

You are already there, when you say "I tried to put the root url of the sharepoint website and it displays only the binary files and not the subfolders." 

When you see this in the preview screen, just click on Transform button and filter the Path column on your subfolder. Then it queries all files again and it should display your files as well. Note that your URL should look like  https://<tenant>.sharepoint.com/sites/subsite

Let me know if that works! 🙂

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Keep those thumbs up coming! 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.