Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rizwan
Regular Visitor

How to connect power bi desktop with excel file in one drive?

I am trying to connect excel file in one drive but there is no option available like in power BI web version!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If you are referring to Power BI desktop, use Excel file and when the file browser pops up, go to the address bar at the top and paste in the URL to your OneDrive.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Celso
Advocate I
Advocate I

It is possible to load multiple excel files having similar column names and structure into single table? I can load it individual and use the append function however additional files will be added eventually.  I tried using Sales*.xlsx but it is not working.

The files looks like this: SalesJune.xlsx, SalesJuly.xlsx, SalesAug.xlsx ... 

Thank you.

Yes, just put all the excel files into a file folder and use the combine function to load the excel files into a binary. Read more here:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-combine-binaries/

Udklip.PNG

@Celso wrote:

It is possible to load multiple excel files having similar column names and structure into single table? I can load it individual and use the append function however additional files will be added eventually.  I tried using Sales*.xlsx but it is not working.

The files looks like this: SalesJune.xlsx, SalesJuly.xlsx, SalesAug.xlsx ... 

Thank you.

kishore_1st
Frequent Visitor

I am trying to access the same way my one drive excel file.. But it is giving a wrong message.. Coud you please provide screenshots. It will help me a lot if it can be shown in images

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If you are referring to Power BI desktop, use Excel file and when the file browser pops up, go to the address bar at the top and paste in the URL to your OneDrive.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

This does not work for us - the URL does not open the Excel file.  Is there somehting different between OneDrive for Business and OneDrive Personal ?

I managed to connect to a onedrive live personal excel file using the following embed link:

https://onedrive.live.com/download?resid=AAXXXX&authkey=AAXXXXXXX&em=x&app=Excel

Just substitute the red parts with the id (resid), authentication key (authkey) found on the specific file. The ID and authkey can be found by right clicking on the specific file and selecting "embed".

Untitled.png

Yes, it's running

Buf !!! the official documentation is outdated

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/es-es/documentation/powerbi-desktop-use-onedrive-business-links/

Thanks a lot

Lluís

Thanks Robot Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.