Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RaulPBI
Helper II
Helper II

How to connect google sheet to Power BI

Hi all:

I have developed a model linked with Google Drive, and have problems with data update.

Every month we do next:

- generate .csv with the same link

- then we open then in spreadsheet and generate the links in order to link to Power BI. The thing is that these links are not permanent (contrary to the csv), so every month we change them and there is no a complete automation.

- furthermore when I import data to Power BI in some columns the system adds 'commas' after some number columns.

Any idea?

Thank you in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@RaulPBI

Do you have any other problem about this scenario?

Best Regards,
Herbert

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@RaulPBI

Does above suggestion help?

Best Regards,
Herbert

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@RaulPBI

You can publish the google sheet to web to get the excel link as following screenshot. Then get data in Power BI Desktop using the web connector with the excel link.

How to connect google sheet to Power BI_1.jpgHow to connect google sheet to Power BI_2.jpg

Please also vote on following idea to push the product team to make it to be a built-in connector in the future.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/6656584-connectivity-to-google-sh...

Best Regards,
Herbert

Sure, that works. But, what happen when you update data in this file? Can you use the same link or you have to change it?

@RaulPBI

You do not need to change the link and you can refresh the data by clicking Refresh in Power BI Desktop.

Best Regards,
Herbert

I share the report on Service Power BI and schedule the update. I don't need to refresh whether I do that. I mean, the issue is that in order to update data in excel file and then maintain the same link to connect to Power BI, how I should proceed?

thank you for your comments Herbert

@RaulPBI

Do you have any other problem about this scenario?

Best Regards,
Herbert

@v-haibl-msft

Hi, I am new to Power BI. 

I tried this method to connect to the Google sheet. 

But instead of getting the table data in the Power BI Navigator, I get a pop up dialog to download the Google sheet from my browser. Along with this, the table 0 looks like this.

Capture.PNG

With every refresh, I get a dialog box to let my browser download the Sheet.

Please advise on how to fix this.

I have the same issue

It is solved @plukacsi

@RaulPBI

If you get data from Google Sheet through Web connector in Power BI Desktop, then publish the reprot to Power BI Service. You only need to schedule refresh for it. Please refer to my screenshot below. Once the schedule refresh is triggered, the dataset will be refreshed. You do not need to do other thing like changing the link.

How to connect google sheet to Power B_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.