Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to connect a report to an existing database?

Hey there,

I have 2 reports connected to 2 separata detabases (which are identical), is it possible to connect the two reports to the same database instead. I find it a bit redundant to have two automatic refresheshes instead of one and so on. 

AndrejBI_0-1604053398795.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  you can make use of shared dataset with which you need to refresh only maindataset.For this to work you need to connect to Power bi dataset which inturn will live connect to dataset which are available in your workspaces.

Hope it resolves your issue? Please consider accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!👍

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  you can make use of shared dataset with which you need to refresh only maindataset.For this to work you need to connect to Power bi dataset which inturn will live connect to dataset which are available in your workspaces.

Hope it resolves your issue? Please consider accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Anonymous, 

This works, yet it creates a new report. I need to connect the existant report, as many users have access to that one, and I don't want to notify them about the change or anything along the lines. Do you know how to transfer the existant report, so it's connected to the old database? The link should not be changed. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous what i understood here is you have 2 reports from the same source  ....you want to change the datasource source setting of the second report and connect to the database as that of  the first report all this is possible in power bi deskop only and you will have to republish the file again....

You can edit the source settings from power query select the table and click on advance editor change the source path and close and apply the settings 
datasource1.png

Home Tab-->Transform data-->Datasource setting delete the database which you do not want it 

DATASOURCE2.png

Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

you can link multiple reports into a single dataset, that way you refresh only once.

Please refer to the below article by Matt Allington
https://exceleratorbi.com.au/new-power-bi-reports-golden-dataset/ 

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.