Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Abduvali
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

How to connect SOAP API to Power BI

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me does Power BI work with SOAP API connection?

I have tried connecting using WEB connector and Basic authorisation to establish connection but it didn't work.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Abduvali

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Abduvali ,

Based on my searching, PowerBI haven't provided an official connector to SOAP, as a workaround, we can use XML Driver to create SQL Queries to call SOAP API in Power BI, please refer to this blog: https://zappysys.com/blog/call-soap-api-power-bi-read-xml-web-service-data/

Note: This link contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Another workaround is using Python script getting data from SOAP, then transfer these data to Pandas data frames, PowerBI can read the data.

Best Regards,

Teige

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Abduvali ,

Based on my searching, PowerBI haven't provided an official connector to SOAP, as a workaround, we can use XML Driver to create SQL Queries to call SOAP API in Power BI, please refer to this blog: https://zappysys.com/blog/call-soap-api-power-bi-read-xml-web-service-data/

Note: This link contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Another workaround is using Python script getting data from SOAP, then transfer these data to Pandas data frames, PowerBI can read the data.

Best Regards,

Teige

Hey @TeigeGao and @Abduvali ,

There is actually a similar thread that has come up with a solution for this issue here

However, they combine content and web.content which makes you unable to have anything else than an anonymous connection. In my case I also have to authenticate outside the XML (in request properties in ReadyAPI or basic authorization in Postman). I guess that corresponds to enabling a basic authorization connection in Power BI unfortunately...

Has any of you tried to call a SOAP API in Python which you then imports to Power BI? Any luck with getting the scheduled refresh to work and everything? 

Kind regards, 

Jonas

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.