Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mz180w
Advocate II
Advocate II

How to compare columns in a query (table) and a reference

I have a Headcount query (table) that contains a monthly snapshot of Employees.

The Headcount query (HDCT) has the following columns:

- HDCT Employee ID (ex. 6218)
 - HDCT As of Date (ex. 06/30/2017)
 - HDCT Salary Grade (ex. 6G)
 - HDCT Current Record ID (ex. 6218_2017_06)
 - HDCT Previous Record ID (ex. 6218_2016_05)

I created a Reference for the HDCT query (table) called HDCT_REF.
I have re-labeled the columns within HDCT_REF to be:
 - HDCT_REF Employee ID
 - HDCT_REF As of Date
 - HDCT_REF Salary Grade
 - HDCT_REF Current Record ID
 - HDCT_REF Previous Record ID

I have created a relationship between HDCT and HDCT_REF using the following definition:

HDCT Previous Record ID = HDCT_REF Current Period ID
 The cardinality is 1:1; the cross filter directions is Both

This relationship provides the means to view a monthly snapshot record and the associated previous monthly snapshot record on the same row.
As example, the HDCT 06/2017 row is joined to the HDCT_REF 05/2017 record using HDCT Previous Record ID (6218_2017_05) to HDCT_REF Current Record ID (6218_2017_05)
When creating a visualization using a Table, this data appears as expected.

I need to compare the HDCT Salary Grade value with the HDCT_REF Salary Grade value to identify any differences.

How can this be accomplished with a Calculation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mz180w
Advocate II
Advocate II

The solution is using the RELATED function in the creation of a new calculated column within the primary fact table (query) that references a column (field) from the related table (query).

In this instance, within the HDCT query a new calculated column was created:

HDCT Salary_Grade_Prev = RELATED(HDCT_REF[HDCT_REF(Salary Grade])

Because of the defined relationship between HDCT and HDCT_REF, HDCT Salary_Grade_Prev is able to reference the HDCT_REF Salary Grade value associated with the row from HDCT_REF.

With HDCT Salary_Grade_Prev defined, other new calculated columns can be created that reference it.  For example,

HDCT Salary_Grade_Compare = IF(HDCT[HDCT Salary Grade]<>HDCT[HDCT Salary_Grade_Prev],"Salary Grade Change","")

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
mz180w
Advocate II
Advocate II

The solution is using the RELATED function in the creation of a new calculated column within the primary fact table (query) that references a column (field) from the related table (query).

In this instance, within the HDCT query a new calculated column was created:

HDCT Salary_Grade_Prev = RELATED(HDCT_REF[HDCT_REF(Salary Grade])

Because of the defined relationship between HDCT and HDCT_REF, HDCT Salary_Grade_Prev is able to reference the HDCT_REF Salary Grade value associated with the row from HDCT_REF.

With HDCT Salary_Grade_Prev defined, other new calculated columns can be created that reference it.  For example,

HDCT Salary_Grade_Compare = IF(HDCT[HDCT Salary Grade]<>HDCT[HDCT Salary_Grade_Prev],"Salary Grade Change","")

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.