Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

melian
Frequent Visitor

How to combine three columns into one?

Hi, 

I have a table that has three columns (Zip codes columns). I want to combine all of them into one column that has all the zip codes. How can I do that? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@melian,

You may select Unpivot Columns in the Query Editor or use UNION Function in DAX.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
jakobob

Hey!
There's no build in function in Power BI for that, but you can use M/Power query. 

(Source) =>
    let
        result = Table.FromList(List.Combine(Table.ToColumns(Source)), null, {"AllZipCodes"})
    in
        result

Just google for how to apply Power Query to your Power BI. 
However this function replaces all your columns. If you want to keept the old columns you got to customize the function. 

Cheers Jakobob

bharatmalvi
Frequent Visitor

how to do the same using power query?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @melian

Could you please post some sample data to replicate your issue???

Regards,

Angad

zipcode ss 1.PNG

This is an example of what I want to do. In the table I am working on there are three columns, the first three, of zipcodes. I want to combine all of them into one column, All ZipCodes. 

@Anonymous

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Use Summarize with union function as shown below-

AllZipCode =
UNION(SUMMARIZE('Table','Table'[ZipCode1]),SUMMARIZE('Table','Table'[ZipCode2]),SUMMARIZE('Table','Table'[ZipCode3]))

Angad

@AngadK , i have a similar requirement, tried the union dax with Summarize its throwing an error, can you please help me with this

Project IDs = UNION(SUMMARIZE('Table','Table'[Project_ID1]),SUMMARIZE('Table','Table'[Project_ID2]),SUMMARIZE('Table','Table'[Project_ID3]),SUMMARIZE('Table','Table'[Project_ID4]))
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jack11 , Have you written the union dax formula on "Create a new table using DAX" pane?

@Anonymous , i got if after using the dax in a new table, is it possible to combine them in the same table?

What i want: am planning to show the hours spent on each project on a particular date, i have 4 columns of project IDs for each person everyday hence i want to combine the IDs into one column.

Hi Melian, Can you please post your solution DAX . I have the same requirement but UNIOn is not working in my case.

@melian,

You may select Unpivot Columns in the Query Editor or use UNION Function in DAX.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-chuncz-msft Thank you so much. The UNION function did the job. Much appreciated. 

CONCATENATE([col1],CONCATENATE([col2],[col3]))

melian
Frequent Visitor

@Gokul

The problem with this is that it combines them on the same line, which is not what I want. Your code would make the the new list looks like this 

zipcode ss 2.PNG

However, I want the new list to look like this 

zipcode ss 1.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.