Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Lexicron
Frequent Visitor

How to change/update list of data fields for embedded canvas app in power bi report?

I'm working on a report in Power BI Desktop. I have an embedded Canvas app. It's already been setup, it works, but now I need to add more fields to it.

I can drag and drop the additional fields in Power BI Desktop to the "Powerapps Data" fields section, but in the Canvas studio it's not detecting the fields. You know how the formula bar gives you a dropdown list of fields after typing the "."? My new fields are not in the list. And if I manually type the field names in, I just get red squiggly lines and error name not defined. I've tried all the Refresh commands I know without success.

The canvas app is also still keeping old fields from the Power BI report that were custom fields that I have now deleted from Power BI. I don't understand it. Why is it not updating to what is currently being sent to it from Power BI?

Can someone help me please?

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Lexicron , is not passing the value, or you looking to update the power app?

Yes I want to update the power app with new fields. The new fields I added in Power BI Desktop don't show up in the Canvas studio, I just get the red squiggly lines and error name not defined.

Hi @Lexicron ,

As mentioned in Limitations of the Power Apps visual,

• If you change the data fields associated with the visual, you must edit the app from within the Power BI service by selecting the ellipsis (...) and then selecting Edit. Otherwise, the changes won't be propagated to Power Apps, and the app will behave in unexpected ways.
  • The Power Apps visual can't trigger a refresh of Power BI reports and Power BI data sources from within Power BI Desktop. If you write back data from the app to the same data source as the report, your changes won't be reflected immediately in Power BI Desktop. Changes are reflected on the next scheduled refresh.

For more details , please refer to the simliar post:  https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/PowerBI-Passed-Fields-not-Updating/td-p/3195...

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.