Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to change the sort order when showing data

Is it possible to change the sorting order when using the "show data" function on a visual?

I want the UTC_DATE field sorted descending in stead of ascending. 

Pressing the triangle as hightlited in the image does not work.

The visual used in the image is a line and stacked column chart. 

show data.png

5 REPLIES 5
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

The feature works properly on my side.

2-1.PNG

Could you please share your sample data and excepted result to me if you don't have any confidential Information. Please upload your files to One Drive and share the link here.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sadly I cannot upload my pbix file since it is filled with company data. 

However I have a screenshot showing my inability to sort/order that could perhaps give you a clue as to what is going on. 

I also noticed that in another "line and stacked column chart" in my pbix file the feature works aswell. Capture.PNG

That is unusual, you have it working in others but not this one.

Maybe sequentially remove your variables in the desktop version and see which one is causing it to loose the sort function, or find some difference between the one that works and this one.

Sorry I can't be more help. Hope you can resolve it

I do notice that you have the word "unique" in your measures, so i guess your measure has some distinct function in it, wonder if that is a factor affecting the ability to sort

KEITHO
Frequent Visitor

In standard PowerBI visuals it's easy to do that.

The sort order on the chart is changed by navigating to the elipsis (three dots in the upper right hand corner)

changing sort.jpg

This should work on standard PowerBI visuals. However custom visuals may not have that option. Custom visuals lack some standard functionalities of PBI visuals commonly (e.g. export to excel).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @KEITHO 

I am using Power BI's standard Line and stacked column chart. 

Unless I am missing something, this chart is not sortable.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.