Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

j_w
Helper IV
Helper IV

How to change the category width of the Y-Axis to show a whole category name?

As you can see, the bar chart cannot show the whole long category names, and the Minimum category width option works on height instead of width (a bug?)

Y-Axis width.png

After change Minimum category width from 20 to 40:

Y-Axis width 2.png

Is it possible to change the category width of the Y-Axis to show a whole category name?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
amos_jevons
Regular Visitor

There is now a "Maximum Size" slider which changes the amount of space available for Y Axis labels (using version 2.63 here)maximum-size.png

j_w
Helper IV
Helper IV
pji
Advocate I
Advocate I

I wish this could be done with all the visuals.. It is an important feature.

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @j_w,

Minimum category width means the midth od a category. For the "Note" category(shown in first in your screenshot), change value 20 to 40. the height of a bar is bigger, so there is a slicer button in the screenshot. In same size screen of repot, it displays less categories.

For your requirement, you can set the text size smaller, it will shown more long cagegory name.

1.PNG

Beside, you can all drag the report width size, it can display totally. Please see the following screenshot, the first is my report by defult, the second one shows the total name after I drag.

4.PNG

Please feel free to ask if you have any other issue.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi @v-huizhn-msft

Thanks for your suggestions, but my report is full of visuals now, so there is little space to drag the bar visual larger.

And the Text size is already small enough, making it smaller will bring negative user experience.

It would be better to be able to set the Text width in Format tab 🙂

Hi @j_w,

I really understand you. But now it hard to meet your requirement. Thanks for your supporting the Power BI product.

Best Regards,
Angelia

This really needs to be a feature. Tableau has the ability to drag axis title width separately from the whole visualization. I have this same problem all the time, and even if I extend the graph the whole width of the report, the names don't all show, and I'm wasting all this space on really long bars. If you can't add the feature to adjust title width separately, then can you at least enable text wrapping for titles that are too long?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.