Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jhoffstein
Frequent Visitor

How to change "category rows" into columns?

Hello,

I have a spreadsheet where the data is listed by "category rows", like the example below.  

Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 10.29.41 AM.png

To use this data in Power BI I need it to look like the table below, where the category is transformed into its own column.  

Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 10.29.47 AM.png

Is there a transformation I can apply that will automatically recognize these category rows and change them into a column, applying the right category label to each row?

This also needs to be dynamic, so if additional categories like "MEATS" or "BAKERY ITEMS" were added the transformation would automatically work for those as well.

Thank you for your help!

-Jenna

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Assuming that, say, 2017 is always going to have data in except on your rows, you could try making a new column in the query editor that pulls through the column with fruits, vegetables etc in if 2017 is blank and leaves it blank otherwise. IIRC there's then an option to fill down, which should populate the new column with the category headers as needed. You can then filter out anything in 2017 that's blank and you should be there

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@jhoffstein,

You can try the following:

Insert new column index starting at 0. In Applied Steps, I renamed to 'AddIndex'.

= Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 0, 1)

Review the documentation at https://www.powerquery.training/portfolio/replicate-power-pivots-switch-function/ as it helped to define the possible variables separately from the next step.

Here is the fnSwitch( ) I made to start you off. This is really so you don't have to write a bunch of 'or' in the next add column.

(input) =>
let
values = {
    {"FRUITS", "FRUITS"},
    {"VEGETABLES", "VEGETABLES"},
    {"BAKERY", "BAKERY"},
    {"CHEESE", "CHEESE"}
},
Result = List.First(List.Select(values, each _{0}=input)) {1}
in
Result

Add custom column 'Type'.

try if AddIndex[Column1] {[Index]} = fnSwitch([Column1]) then AddIndex[Column1] {[Index]} else null otherwise null

Filter 'Type' down

Filter one of the 'Year' columns null values out.

You should end up with:

3.PNG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

@ChrisMendoza I haven't had the chance to try this out yet, but would it work with additional categories beyond Fruits, Vegetables, Bakery and Cheese?  I'd like this to be as hands-off as possible, so I don't need to manually edit something every time the categories are changed.

Thanks,

Jenna

@jhoffstein,

The accepted solution is the most hands off if the null value is constant/consistent in your data. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Assuming that, say, 2017 is always going to have data in except on your rows, you could try making a new column in the query editor that pulls through the column with fruits, vegetables etc in if 2017 is blank and leaves it blank otherwise. IIRC there's then an option to fill down, which should populate the new column with the category headers as needed. You can then filter out anything in 2017 that's blank and you should be there

@jthomson Worked perfectly - thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.