Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Alchemista
Frequent Visitor

How to change month column in text format to date format without getting errors?

Hi,

As seen in screenshot below, I have a column with month names in text format. When I try to transform to date it gives me errors all across. I tried to do "parse" and it doesnt pick up on the month names for some reason, still giving errors. What should I do to change to a date/month format so I can rank my sales data by month in reports? 

Also, if Power BI cant tell if June is a month or not, what's the function of "parse"?

Power BI Question how to parse month names.png

Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Alchemista ,

As alexvc  suggested, you could create the custom column to achieve your requirement.

Please refer to this M query.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8krMK00sqlTSUTIyMLRQitWJVnJLTSpCF/NNLErOQBZwLCjKzEFVgaLBqzQvFc6PBQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Month = _t, Year = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Month", type text}, {"Year", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each if [Month] = "January" then 1 else if [Month] = "February" then 2 else if [Month] = "March" then 3 else if [Month] = "April" then 4 else if [Month] = "May" then 5 else if [Month] = "June" then 6 else null),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Conditional Column",{{"Year", type text}, {"Custom", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type1", "Custom.1", each [Year]&"-"&[Custom]&"-"&"1"),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Added Custom",{{"Custom.1", "date"}}),
    #"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"date", type date}})
in
    #"Changed Type2"

Here is the output.

Capture.PNG

You also could refer to my attachement.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Alchemista ,

As alexvc  suggested, you could create the custom column to achieve your requirement.

Please refer to this M query.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8krMK00sqlTSUTIyMLRQitWJVnJLTSpCF/NNLErOQBZwLCjKzEFVgaLBqzQvFc6PBQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Month = _t, Year = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Month", type text}, {"Year", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each if [Month] = "January" then 1 else if [Month] = "February" then 2 else if [Month] = "March" then 3 else if [Month] = "April" then 4 else if [Month] = "May" then 5 else if [Month] = "June" then 6 else null),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Conditional Column",{{"Year", type text}, {"Custom", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type1", "Custom.1", each [Year]&"-"&[Custom]&"-"&"1"),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Added Custom",{{"Custom.1", "date"}}),
    #"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"date", type date}})
in
    #"Changed Type2"

Here is the output.

Capture.PNG

You also could refer to my attachement.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
alexvc
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi there,

Date format conversion parting from text can be tricky. A quick fix can be to create a calculated column in your table with an IF(Period="January",1,IF(Period="February",2,.... formula to assign the month number to each record. In the sample data you posted that column should show "6" in all rows, as that's June's month number. Then add a separate column to calculate the date using the formula DATE(day,month,year). If you don't have a day column in your table input 1 and that will give you a date format for the 1st of the month

Let me know if it works

Alejandro

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.