Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ysapiyev
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

How to change field name in hierarchy input

Hi everyone,

I have a visual input of hierarchy level. How can I rename it? I was able to rename regular input field, but not hierarchy.

Regards,

Yerkhan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ysapiyev,
Based on my test, Live connection limits the data hierarchy function, you can not use it.

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ysapiyev,

In your scenario, if your data is a date hierarchy and it is automatically generated in Power BI like the picture below.

a.PNG

You can't rename the hierarchy, but you can create several related calculated columns to recreate a designed customized hierarchy. Now you can create these calculated columns.

Day = DAY('Table1'[Date])

MONTH = MONTH('Table1'[Date])

Year = YEAR('Table1'[Date])

Quarter = "Q" & INT ( FORMAT ( [Date], "q") )

Put the [MONTH] field into the [Year] field. Now you can see a new hierarchy. You can also put the [Quarter] and [Day] fields into this hierarchy and you can rename it now.

Capture.PNG

You can also download the PBIX file to have a view.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oere6z4rqhk8bs1/How%20to%20change%20field%20name%20in%20hierarchy%20input....

Regards,

Daniel He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-danhe-msft

So, if I understood correctly, it only applicable to imported data, right?

Regards,

Yerkhan

Hi @ysapiyev,

Based on my test, it depends on how your data is connected.
If you are using the Direct Query mode, you can use the way I mentioned earlier. If you are using the Live Connection mode, I am afraid you can’t use the way. And both of them have no built-in date hierarchy.
If you are using the Import mode you can use the way easily.

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-directquery-about

Regards,

Daniel He

@v-danhe-msft

What about live connection? I can't switch to data import,

Regards,

Yerkhan

Hi @ysapiyev,
Based on my test, Live connection limits the data hierarchy function, you can not use it.

Regards,

Daniel He

@v-danhe-msft,

Ok. Thanks.

Regards,

Yerkhan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.