Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kanth32
Advocate I
Advocate I

How to change direct query to import query

Hi Team , 

I have connected to HANA DB and created one reporting using Direct query option . Now i want to change from Drirect query option to Import query option . I tried to change in edit query--> change data source(below snap) and there import query option is disable . Can you please let me know how can i change my direct query to import query option . 

Import.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @kanth32,

If you're connected by Direct Query, you'll see the message "DirectQuery: Enabled (Click to Change)" in the status bar at the bottom right hand screen on Power BI Desktop:

changemode.PNG

Click on the message, then you should be able to change Direct Query to Import Model.Smiley Happy

cm2.PNG

Regards

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for this solution it easily resolved my issue

oscar_bolanos
Advocate I
Advocate I

In Power BI Desktop, go to Model view-->Advanced and change the storage mode from DirectQuery to Import

oscar_bolanos_1-1658511571235.png

Since I had a hard time comprehending the terms like Model View etc.. here is a more detailed screenshot that I thought might help. (1) Click model view (2) Click a table that you want to change (3) Click Advanced (4) Make your choice of directquery, import or dual

cs97009_0-1684178165663.png

EnglishCJ
Frequent Visitor

From https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-about :

Underlying data source is an OLAP source, containing measuresIf the underlying data source contains measures, such as SAP HANA or SAP Business Warehouse, then importing the data brings other issues. It means that the data imported is at a particular level of aggregation, as defined by the query. For example, measures TotalSales by Class, Year, and City. Then if a visual is built asking for data at a higher-level aggregate, such as TotalSales by Year, it's further aggregating the aggregate value. This aggregation is fine for additive measures, such as Sum and Min, but it's an issue for non-additive measures, such as Average, DistinctCount.

To make it easy to get the correct aggregate data, as needed for the particular visual, directly from the source, it would be necessary to send queries per visual, as in DirectQuery.

When connecting to SAP Business Warehouse (BW), choosing DirectQuery allows for this treatment of measures. For information about SAP BW, see DirectQuery and SAP BW.

However, currently DirectQuery over SAP HANA treats it the same as a relational source, and provides similar behavior to import. This approach is covered further in DirectQuery and SAP HANA.
Anonymous
Not applicable

How can the Storage Mode be changed when the Data Source is an Analysis Services database?

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

direct.PNG

Can you see something like this in Query Editor, Change the Connection Settings to Import Mode,

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Hi  Bhavesh , 

Thanks for your reply 

we are not able to get that option in edit query . 

You can see this message when you select the Source option in your query applied steps.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Hello Bhavesh , 

i can able see the import and direct query option .. in Edit query but there it was disabled please check my intial screen shot 

Hi @kanth32,

If you're connected by Direct Query, you'll see the message "DirectQuery: Enabled (Click to Change)" in the status bar at the bottom right hand screen on Power BI Desktop:

changemode.PNG

Click on the message, then you should be able to change Direct Query to Import Model.Smiley Happy

cm2.PNG

Regards

Amazing - thats for sharing, it was impossible to find in MS documentation

Thank you!!! 2022 and still saving lives!!! 🤣

Anonymous
Not applicable

not working with me 😞

after enable " direct query "

from options restart still disabled ...!!!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.