Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

UsePowerBI
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

How to change data source for a table?

Hello

I load a specific table from an ODBC connection. This same table has been migrated to Azure. How can I switch to Azure without having to rebuild the dashboard?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

Hi @UsePowerBI - see my blog post below that explains how to swap out all of your transformations from one query to another when you change sources. Below explains how to do it with the Entered Data feature, but it will work from any data source to any other data source. The key is, you need to create your new data source and get it transformed to a point where the structure looks exactly like your old data source looked before you did any transformations. So usually it involves renaming columns and confirming data types are ok.

This is the same advice I gave you in Sept when you asked about moving Hadoop to Azure. Same concept.

See this article if you need help using this M code in your model.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
edhans
Super User
Super User

Hi @UsePowerBI - see my blog post below that explains how to swap out all of your transformations from one query to another when you change sources. Below explains how to do it with the Entered Data feature, but it will work from any data source to any other data source. The key is, you need to create your new data source and get it transformed to a point where the structure looks exactly like your old data source looked before you did any transformations. So usually it involves renaming columns and confirming data types are ok.

This is the same advice I gave you in Sept when you asked about moving Hadoop to Azure. Same concept.

See this article if you need help using this M code in your model.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

In Power Query create a connection to the Azure data source that results in exactly the same output (*) as your original query. Once you have confirmed that the output matches exactly, copy the M code from the new query to the old query and delete the new query.

You may also get away with swapping the query names, but I have not tested that.

* if you don't do that you risk losing measures, groups, and more in Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.