Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to change connectivity mode from Direct Query to Live

Hi, 

I'm looking for a way to change the data source of a PowerBI file (pbix) from Direct Query (DQ)/SQL Server to an Analysis Service model (Live connection) deployed in Azure Analysis Service (AAS). 

I looked up and saw that there's a way to change from DQ from import mode and vice versa but couldn't see any way to convert from DQ to Live connection.

Is this something which is supported? If not, the only way would be to rebuild the report with Live mode?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

Currently, for Power BI December 2020, If the data source is Power BI datasets or Azure Analysis Service, you can change the connection mode from LiveConnection to DirectQuery. However, sorry that your request may not be fulfilled at this time.

If your data source is SQL Server, you can switch connection mode between import and DirectQuery. If your data source is Azure Analysis Service, you can switch connection mode between import and LiveConnection. These two data sources use different connector, so if you want to change data source from DirectQuery/SQL Server to LiveConnection/Azure Analysis Service, you need to rebuild the report.

Best Regards,

Caiyun Zheng

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Can you please tell me how to change the live connection power BI dataset to direct query?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , I do have doubt of any direct way. But check if this blog can help a bit

https://ruiromanoblog.wordpress.com/2018/02/01/convert-a-power-bi-desktop-report-from-import-to-live-query/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.