cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tonioknuth Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

How to change column order

Hi, 

does anyone know how the change the column order in a table ? Especially when doing a UNION, having all tables in the same order is extremely important. 

When adding / removing columns in a query, it seems the column order is partly determined by the order in the original dataset, and party by the order in which columns where added / removed. I have not yet found a reliable logic there, though.

It would be amazing if one could determine the order in which the column appear in the table somewhere, does anyone know of such an option ? 

Best,

Tonio

3 REPLIES 3
Moderator v-caliao-msft

Re: How to change column order

Hi @tonioknuth,

I have tested it on my local environment, when appending query, Power BI will ignoce the oclumn order and append the same column name in a column if you have the same name in two tables.

Capture.PNGUntitled.png

Regards,

Charlie Liao

tonioknuth Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-caliao-msft,

thank you for your quick reply, and your tests!

From what I can see, you are combining the tables on the query level, right ? 

In my case, I am combining the tables later in the model, as before uniting them, I have to add columns with table specific values

(e.g. document types: SalesInvoice / SalesCreditMemo)) to be able to calculate correctly in the UNION table.

The column order as specified in the query somehow does not reflect the column order of the tables in the model later. 

Do I have the option to take the queries column order over to the model, or should I try to add the needed columns on the query level somehow ? 

Best,

Tonio

Moderator v-caliao-msft

Hi @tonioknuth,

I combine the tables using append querys in the model. When you have additional rows of data that you’d like to add to an existing query, you append the query. Please refer to the link below.
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-shape-and-combine-data/

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

It’s the start of a new Super User season! Learn all about the new Super Users and brand-new tiered recognition system.

Super User Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Super User Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're celebrating the start of the New Super User season with our first ever Super User 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Power BI Desktop Update - February 2020

Power BI Desktop Update - February 2020

We are super excited for our update this month, as we are releasing two of our top community requests!

Power Platform Online Conference

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

Top Solution Authors