Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tonioknuth

How to change column order

Hi, 

does anyone know how the change the column order in a table ? Especially when doing a UNION, having all tables in the same order is extremely important. 

When adding / removing columns in a query, it seems the column order is partly determined by the order in the original dataset, and party by the order in which columns where added / removed. I have not yet found a reliable logic there, though.

It would be amazing if one could determine the order in which the column appear in the table somewhere, does anyone know of such an option ? 

Best,

Tonio

3 REPLIES 3
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @tonioknuth,

I have tested it on my local environment, when appending query, Power BI will ignoce the oclumn order and append the same column name in a column if you have the same name in two tables.

Capture.PNGUntitled.png

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Hi @v-caliao-msft,

thank you for your quick reply, and your tests!

From what I can see, you are combining the tables on the query level, right ? 

In my case, I am combining the tables later in the model, as before uniting them, I have to add columns with table specific values

(e.g. document types: SalesInvoice / SalesCreditMemo)) to be able to calculate correctly in the UNION table.

The column order as specified in the query somehow does not reflect the column order of the tables in the model later. 

Do I have the option to take the queries column order over to the model, or should I try to add the needed columns on the query level somehow ? 

Best,

Tonio

Hi @tonioknuth,

I combine the tables using append querys in the model. When you have additional rows of data that you’d like to add to an existing query, you append the query. Please refer to the link below.
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-shape-and-combine-data/

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.