Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SebFelSch

How to change column format?

Hello,

I want to change in a column the text from 1,2,3,4,5...,11,12,13,...111,112,113 to 001,002,003,...,011,...111,112,113.

I tried format(text,"000") but it does not work.

My problem is that I join 3 columns to a key e.g. VS00001-1-1 and I want that it looks like VS00001-01-001 and so on.

Someone an idea.

Thank you for your help and time!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You will need to add a custom column, and then add the following formula.

=Text.PadStart(Number.ToText([Column1]),4,"0")

The red section converts the numeric column to text.  This is required before you can pad out from the left

The blue section then pads out the text string to be (in this case 4 characters long using a "0" as the padding character).

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can use Custom Column in Query Editor,

As shown in the screenshot, Write Custom Column and once it is done delete your original column if not required.

Alternatively, You can use CONCATENATE function as well.

customcolumn.PNG

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Hello Bhavesh,

this did not work out because it is the same like to add a präfix.

1 turns to 001

41        to 0041

I need

1   to 001

41 to 041

But thank you for the idea!

The CONCATENATE function also doesn't help. I tried before and it does not work like in excel.

You will need to add a custom column, and then add the following formula.

=Text.PadStart(Number.ToText([Column1]),4,"0")

The red section converts the numeric column to text.  This is required before you can pad out from the left

The blue section then pads out the text string to be (in this case 4 characters long using a "0" as the padding character).

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

perfekt thank you Matt!

also a big thank you for the explanation!

SebFelSch

Hello I would like to change a column which has values 1,2,3,4,5,..., 150,151,152 in 001,002,003,004,005 and so on.

I tried it like in Excel with format(text,"000") but it does not work.

Anyone an idea?

Best wishes,

Seb

Duplicate post

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.