Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SvenTexas
Frequent Visitor

How to change MDX query from Desktop to SSAS live connection

Hi, I have a live connection from PowerBI Desktop to my SSAS Cube.  I am looking to change the actual MDX that is passed - as its a huge cube which meets the needs of many departments, and am looking to exclude some of the Dimensions as the end user of one Department doesnt want to be presented with Dimensions for another part of the business.  Some core ones should remain, but 80% should be excluded from the sidebar. 

Is this possible? 

I guess its a bit like connecting to a perspective, but we're only on 2016 Standard Edition, so perspectives are not an option.

Does anyone have an idea how this can be done please?  Thankyou.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @SvenTexas,

I don't think the custom MDX and DAX option is available to SSAS live connection currently. Here is a similar idea shared on Power BI Ideas. You can vote it up and add your comments there to improve Power BI on this feature. Smiley Happy

Regards

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @SvenTexas

Yes this is possible.  You can write your own MDX statements and use that as a data source much like the way you might issue T-SQL queries against an SQL db.  MDX is one of my all time favourite languages and it works well 🙂

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

I think that he tries to change a measures already calculated with mdx in the cube with a connection live to power bi,for my knowloadge ,since you're using live connection or direct connection you're not able to customize your measures ,

Please if you have an idea about it please share it with us 

I think that he tries to change a measures already calculated with mdx in the cube with a connection live to power bi,for my knowloadge ,since you're using live connection or direct connection you're not able to customize your measures ,

Please if you have an idea about it please share it with us 

Thank Phil, can you tell me where to find this please?  I dont want to do an import data, just stick with a live connection but cant seem to see where to change the mdx.

Thanks, Paul.

Hi @SvenTexas,

I don't think the custom MDX and DAX option is available to SSAS live connection currently. Here is a similar idea shared on Power BI Ideas. You can vote it up and add your comments there to improve Power BI on this feature. Smiley Happy

Regards

Thanks @v-ljerr-msft, I have upvoted the suggestion.  Surprised that there arent more people requesting the feature.  However.  Cheers

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.