Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ngupta
Frequent Visitor

How to calculate using Total from columns

I have a very simple problem, but I am not good with DAX or even measures yet, so this may be preventing me from getting the answer.

I have a dataset with the following information.

Region

C Estimate

D Estimate/Low Bid

(D-C) Difference

Variance from Estimate = (D-C)/C

South

-23.7%

Central

0.6%

South

-13.6%

South

-99.6%

South

-19.5%

North

28.2%

Total

-50.7%

I want it to calculate the variance between Estimate and Bid for various categories, but I need the Variance of the total.

Question: How do I get -50.7% in the graph, which is coming from “Total” Row.

What I am getting is the average of the variance  -21.3%, this is the average of the individual numbers

Average= (-23.7% +0.6% + -13.6% + -99.6% +-19.5% +28.2%)/6 =-21.3%

Right now I am calculating Variance (column 5) using the following measure: 

Variance = DIVIDE(BI_TENDER_DIMS[CvsD Diff],BI_TENDER_DIMS[C Estimate]) 

Please note numbers in the image below are same as numbers above, but divided by 1000 approx. 

Capture.JPG

Variance calculation only gives me a few options, and none of those include calculation on the total SUm value. These rows od data will change based on several filters, but I always need the variance from the total value, and I cannot calculate that yet.

Capture2.JPG 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ngupta,

According to your description above, you should be able to use the formula below to create a measure(instead of a calculate column) to calculate the Variance in this scenario. Smiley Happy

Variance = DIVIDE(SUM(BI_TENDER_DIMS[CvsD Diff]),SUM(BI_TENDER_DIMS[C Estimate])) 

m1.PNGr1.PNG

Regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ngupta,

According to your description above, you should be able to use the formula below to create a measure(instead of a calculate column) to calculate the Variance in this scenario. Smiley Happy

Variance = DIVIDE(SUM(BI_TENDER_DIMS[CvsD Diff]),SUM(BI_TENDER_DIMS[C Estimate])) 

m1.PNGr1.PNG

Regards

Hi, I am having a very similar issue but it seems like I am doing what you suggest and still getting an incorrect subtotal on my matrix. I am also very new to Bi, so I apologize if a super easy question, which I hope it is! I also may have done this completely wrong!  Thanks for your help

I am trying to show the month over month variance for revenue, which I have but the subtotal is giving me the last calculated number, instead of the total variance, which I want to be the total of all variances. In the example below the total should be $3,409,237.76.  also similar, is the additional formula to find the % variance. 

I used the following measures to get to this: 

MTD Rev = TOTALMTD(sum(Revenue[Total Revenue]),'Calendar'[Date])

LY MTD Rev = calculate([MTD Rev],SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Calendar'[Date]))

MTD Rev Var = [MTD Rev]-[LY MTD Rev]

MTD Rev Var % = Divide([MTD Rev Var],[LY MTD Rev])

Capture.PNG

Yes, this works. Thankyou Smiley Very Happy

I did try it earlier, but I was getting an error, probably because the syntax was wrong.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.