cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slanka Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

How to calculate the value of combination of month and year from a date and compare?

My requirement is to calculate the records records within a particular month.

I have a month table separately and in other table i have startdate and enddate. All the dates in the month table are set to first date of each month. Startdate and Enddates are generated as per their start and end dates. Now, i need to count the number of records entered into the system on that particular month.

I used DAX formula as IF(StartDate <= MonthDate && EndDate >= MonthDate, 1, 0). 

Issue here is, as MonthDate is set to starting of every month, when the StartDate is greater than the MonthDate , record is not getting counted (though it's in the same month).

(Example: StartDate = 03/10/2019, EndDate = 12/31/2019, MonthDate = 03/01/2019). I need to do a calculation ONLY based on month and year value.

Appreciate any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
maguilarBI Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: How to calculate the value of combination of month and year from a date and compare?

Hi

To avoid "StartDate" be later than "MonthDate", take the first day of the month of "StarDate" to compare with "MonthDate":

COUNT = IF(DATE(YEAR(StarDate), MONTH(StartDate), 1) <= MonthDate && EndDate >= MonthDate, 1, 0)

I hope this help you.

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

Re: How to calculate the value of combination of month and year from a date and compare?

Sample data would help. 

That being said, take a look at these two Quick Measures as I think you want something like them.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Open-Tickets/m-p/409364
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Periodic-Billing/m-p/409365

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

maguilarBI Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi

To avoid "StartDate" be later than "MonthDate", take the first day of the month of "StarDate" to compare with "MonthDate":

COUNT = IF(DATE(YEAR(StarDate), MONTH(StartDate), 1) <= MonthDate && EndDate >= MonthDate, 1, 0)

I hope this help you.

slanka Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

This works for me, but i need to add couple of calculated columns and do further calculation. Thanks a lot for the reply!!!

Highlighted
slanka Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

This did my job easier. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Back to School Contest

Back to School Contest

Engage and empower students with Power BI!

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Summit Australia 2019

Summit Australia 2019

Travel to Melbourne and network with thousands of peers!

Top Ideas
Users Online
Currently online: 177 members 2,357 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: