Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Robu
Regular Visitor

How to calculate occupancy rate of resources over time

Hi Guys, I’m building a dashboard for our company about the utilization of construction equipment. Our company is active in earthworks and road construction and we have a lot or equipment (dozers, trucks, excavators) on our project sites. I want to report the sales, cost, utilization of our resources/equipment. To report the utilization I want to calculate the occupancy rate (= actual working hours/theoretical working hours). I want to report this per resource, and group of resources (all dozers, all trucks, etc.) over time (daily, monthly, quarterly, year). I would love to provide examples of my data with pictures, but somehow I don't see the uploading option on the forums anymore(?).. For this calculation I have 2 tables, a Date table and Sales order table 1. Date table. The date table has a column which shows if a date is a working day or not (working day = 1, weekend/holiday = 0) and the available working hours (8 hours per working day). Every resource has the same theoretical working hours per year/month etc. 2. Sales order table. The sales order table consists the billed hours (= actual hours) per resource per project per day. A resource can do multiple sales orders a day (e.g. a truck can do multiple assignments a day on different projects, so has it’s hourly rate billed to multiple projects on a single day). The occupancy rate is actual hours / theoretical hours. My first thought was to make a new column in the sales order table with theoretical hours (8 per day), and divide the actual hours column by the theoretical hours column. But off course then you get a wrong occupancy rate when a resource does multiple orders a day (e.g. 2 assignments of 4 hours on a single day, you get 8/16 = 50% occupancy, while it is 100%). I must create a measure which first calculate the actual hours for a resource on a single day, then divide this by the theoretical working hours for a single day. I also want to calculate this for group of resources (all dozers, all truck etc.) and on different time periods (daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, etc). It looks simple when I state it like this, but I just can’t get my head around it..
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Robu,

You may check if the following post helps.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Labour-Efficiency/m-p/565837#M267006

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Robu,

You may check if the following post helps.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Labour-Efficiency/m-p/565837#M267006

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Robu

Can you post your tables/data model (text on top of screen captures, so that it can be readily copied) or the pbix and explain what you are trying to do based on that? Otherwise it is a bit hard to follow.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.