Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

senescence
Frequent Visitor

How to calculate difference between two tiles with different slicers dynamically?

Hi,

I suspect there is no solution to this but here goes:

I have data in a table as follows:

High, 01/09/17

High, 01/09/17

Medium, 01/09/17

Low, 01/09/17

High, 02/09/17

Medium, 02/09/17

Medium, 02/09/17

Low, 02/09/17

High, 03/09/17

Medium, 03/09/17

Low, 03/09/17

Low, 03/09/17

In my report I have two tables and two slicers (that only work on one table each). So a user selecting 01/09/17 in Slicer A and 03/09/17 in Slicer B gets:

Table A:

High, 2

Medium, 1

Low, 1

Table B:

High, 1

Medium, 1

Low, 2

What I want is to show the difference between these two tiles:

Difference:

High, -1

Medium, 0

Low, 1

It is similar to this problem but the solution here doesn't allow the user make changes using the slicers as the filter is apllied in the query editor:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-calculate-difference-after-different-filter-settings...

I'm new to Power BI so any help appreciated.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @senescence,

To achieve this requirement, the date column added into two slicers have to come from two unrelated tables. So, in this scenario, you should create two calendar tables:

Calendar Date = CALENDAR(MIN('Test'[Date]),MAX('Test'[Date])) 

Calendar Date 2 = CALENDAR(MIN('Test'[Date]),MAX('Test'[Date]))

Then, create three measures like below:

Count1 = CALCULATE(COUNT('Test'[Date]),FILTER('Test','Test'[Date]=MAX('Calendar Date'[Date])))
Count2 = CALCULATE(COUNT('Test'[Date]),FILTER('Test','Test'[Date]=MAX('Calendar Date 2'[Date])))

diff = [Count2]-[Count1]

Add corresponding columns and measures into table visual. Notice that the date in slicer1 comes from 'Calendar Date', while date in slicer2 should come from 'Calendar Date 2'.

3.PNG

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @senescence,

To achieve this requirement, the date column added into two slicers have to come from two unrelated tables. So, in this scenario, you should create two calendar tables:

Calendar Date = CALENDAR(MIN('Test'[Date]),MAX('Test'[Date])) 

Calendar Date 2 = CALENDAR(MIN('Test'[Date]),MAX('Test'[Date]))

Then, create three measures like below:

Count1 = CALCULATE(COUNT('Test'[Date]),FILTER('Test','Test'[Date]=MAX('Calendar Date'[Date])))
Count2 = CALCULATE(COUNT('Test'[Date]),FILTER('Test','Test'[Date]=MAX('Calendar Date 2'[Date])))

diff = [Count2]-[Count1]

Add corresponding columns and measures into table visual. Notice that the date in slicer1 comes from 'Calendar Date', while date in slicer2 should come from 'Calendar Date 2'.

3.PNG

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This worked perfectly and makes complete sense - thanks for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.