Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

smp0150
Frequent Visitor

How to calculate average of sums (aka level metric/LOD expression)

I need help creating an average for Product Sub-Category. If I create a basic DAX average function - I get the average for product level. What I need is the average for sum Product-Category. If I calculate in Excel, I get average for Product Sub-Category = 77202.49. Any help apperciated - thanks!

Capture.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like you want the average, over all the Profit Per Sub-Cat?

Total Profit = SUM(Orders[Profit])

Avg Profit - All SubCat =AVERAGEX(ALL(Orders[Product Sub-Category]), [Total Profit])

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@smp0150 wrote:

I need help creating an average for Product Sub-Category. If I create a basic DAX average function - I get the average for product level. What I need is the average for sum Product-Category. If I calculate in Excel, I get average for Product Sub-Category = 77202.49. Any help apperciated - thanks!

Capture.JPG

@smp0150

Are you looking for some measure like 

avg = CALCULATE(AVERAGE(yourTable[Value], ALLEXCEPT(yourTable, YourTable[Product-Category]))

Your requirement is not quite clear, could you post any sample data and expected output? When posting any sample, either in a file share link or in plain text, a snapshot is hard to import data.

Hi @Eric_Zhang

Thanks for your response. I tried your suggested formula but had no luck (too many arugments error). Anyway, what's happening is I'm getting an average for profit at a given product sub-category grouping, vs overall average for sum of profit for product sub-categories. 

Capture2.JPG

When I dump into excle - here's how I get the number I'm looking for overall average for all Product Sub-Categories. 

Capture3.JPG

I was able to get the 77202.49 number by creating a summary table. 

Agg Product Sub-Category = SUMMARIZE(orders, Orders[Product Sub-Category], "SumPSC", (SUM(Orders[Profit])))

...and creating a new column...

AvgPSC = AVERAGE('Agg Product Sub-Category'[SumPSC])

However I was hoping there was just a straight calculation I could do vs creating a summary table. MicroStrategy and Tableau have level/dimensionality metrics and level of detail expressions that can be defined at the metric/measure level.  Please let me know. Thanks!

Here's the data:

Product Sub-CategoryProfit
Appliances121651.4
Binders and Binder Accessories226572.5
Bookcases-7708.75
Chairs & Chairmats165348.9
Computer Peripherals87917.84
Copiers and Fax129156.7
Envelopes46133.22
Labels17775.32
Office Furnishings92209.23
Office Machines168072.8
Paper35361.62
Pens & Art Supplies1195.903
Rubber Bands-2841.72
Scissors, Rulers and Trimmers-1936.85
Storage & Organization8078.805
Tables-72495.1
Telephones and Communication297950.5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't read this post, but just fixing the error for Eric 🙂

avg = CALCULATE(AVERAGE(yourTable[Value]), ALLEXCEPT(yourTable, YourTable[Product-Category]))

Thanks, It worked like a charm!!!

I used the  simple calculation below:

AverageLevelMetric =
CALCULATE(AVERAGE(Table1[Units]), ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[Location]))

Thanks @Anonymous,

I tried the formula and got the same value as Average Profit: 

Capture4.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like you want the average, over all the Profit Per Sub-Cat?

Total Profit = SUM(Orders[Profit])

Avg Profit - All SubCat =AVERAGEX(ALL(Orders[Product Sub-Category]), [Total Profit])

Thanks @Anonymous - Got it!! Avg Profit - All Sub Cat = AVERAGEX(ALL(Orders[Product Sub-Category]), [Total Profit])

Capture5.JPG

THANK YOU!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.