Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

How to calculate across two tables

I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but I cannot figure this out.

I have three tables linked together via a link table. Two of the tables have data in them that I need for a formula. One table contains ticket transactions with hours per ticket. The other table, linked by Cust ID thru a Link table, contains the Customer and the $ value per hour. I want to take the hours on each ticket (record) and multiply them by the $ value per the type of savings column in the customer table.

How do I do this?

I tried to add this column in the ticket table:

Improved HP ($) =
'Ticket'[Improved HP (Hrs) column] *
LOOKUPVALUE('ROI Table'[HP $ Value Multiplier],'ROI Table'[Cust ID], 'Ticket'[Ship-To-ID])

Which worked at first, but I actually have three different categories, each with a different $ value column by customer for which I need the same calculation. As I mentioned, the first one worked, but when I tried to create the others, I received a circular reference error and now even the first one doesn't work.

I then tried to go to the Customer table, which should contain one record per customer and then tried this:

calculated column =
    'ROI Table'[HP $ Value Multiplier] * CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'Ticket'[Improved HP (Hrs)] ),
        ALLEXCEPT ( 'Ticket', Ticket[Ship-To-ID], Ticket[Category ID]) )

But I don't know what this is doing. It comes up with a high odd looking number, like perhaps it's across the entire table, for all rows in the visual.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Shelley,

You'd better share your sample table, you can create fake data if your data is private, it's hard to figure out the solution without data.

Thanks,

Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.