Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Mer333
Regular Visitor

How to calculate a sequence?

Hello everyone!

Just recently I tried to use Power BI again after a year of delay and I stuck with a rare issue.

I need to calculate a sequence of hired people.

There are 3 columns

Week  Position ID  Name

Position ID is stable, but names can vary from week to week for the same Position ID in case of Vacancy or other reasons.

I need to mark each name change as a new number in sequence for the particular Position ID. At the same time, names can be repeated (if there was a vacancy (1) for a few weeks, then a person (2) and a vacancy again (3)).

At this moment it doesn't matter where to solve the problem, in DAX or M.

I've uploaded an example here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4601806/Calculating%20sequence.xlsx

Thank you very much in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Mer333,

To achieve your goal, only need to add some calculated columns to source table (in my test, it's named as Table1), please refer to below DAX formulas:

Previous Name for same ID =
LOOKUPVALUE (
    Table1[Name],
    Table1[Position ID], Table1[Position ID],
    Table1[Week], Table1[Week] - 1
)

flag =
IF ( Table1[Previous Name for same ID] = Table1[Name], 0, 1 )

Number in sequence =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( Table1[flag] ),
    ALLEXCEPT ( Table1, Table1[Position ID] ),
    Table1[Week] <= EARLIER ( Table1[Week] )
)

Result output.
3.PNG

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

I also wont to make a sequence column each ID No.. What I want to make is more simle than his case.

The ID Column is on tha table named "table1". For example, if ID"32437990" is at this column 3rd, I want to give first "32437990" the "1" sequence NO., 2nd this the "2" and 3rd this the "3".

It also doesn't matter where to solve the problem, in DAX or M.

Please your advice .

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Mer333,

To achieve your goal, only need to add some calculated columns to source table (in my test, it's named as Table1), please refer to below DAX formulas:

Previous Name for same ID =
LOOKUPVALUE (
    Table1[Name],
    Table1[Position ID], Table1[Position ID],
    Table1[Week], Table1[Week] - 1
)

flag =
IF ( Table1[Previous Name for same ID] = Table1[Name], 0, 1 )

Number in sequence =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( Table1[flag] ),
    ALLEXCEPT ( Table1, Table1[Position ID] ),
    Table1[Week] <= EARLIER ( Table1[Week] )
)

Result output.
3.PNG

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Yuliana!

Thank you so much! But it seems that problem expands a bit. I found two different names for the same id in some periods. Do you know how to exclude them from the calculation? Otherwise lookupvalue doesn't work. Thank you!

Hi @Mer333,

In that case, how to display the sequence number? Could you please share some data?

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Hi Yuliana,

I've solved it by identifying duplicates in Power Query as how Ken described here -http://www.excelguru.ca/blog/2015/12/09/identify-duplicates-using-power-query/

Then I've filtered them out in LookUpValue. It's interesting though whether it's possible to identify duplicates in DAX.

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.