Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MYDATASTORY
Resolver I
Resolver I

How to calculate Starters and Leavers |DatesinPeriod |CountRows|

Hi,

Please advice,

I am trying to calculate below

• Players who have joined the club.
  • Players who have left the club

I have two tables (Player and Contract)

• Player table have player details/attributes (Player Id (Unique), Player Name)
  • Contract table have Player contract details/attributes (Contract Id, Start date, End Date, Contract Reference id)

Current logic:

• Contract Id (Contact table) Join Player Id (Player table)
  • Each player can have many contracts (one to many)

I would like to calculate below

• These players who have joined (Starters) the club (Use start dates)
  • These players who have left (Leavers)the club        (Use Start date and End date)

Please note I have created a Calendar table (Power BI) for the data model which connects the contract table Start date, this is for modeling purposes so that I can one central calendar for slicing the data.

Current Dax which need advice in expanding it  

Starters:  If (contract [start date])>Today (),1,0 

updated dummy data and I would expect to see  3 starters and 6 leavers based on the below table. 

Player Id Contract IDContract Reference IDStart DateEndEnd DateValid Contract
11REF101/08/202001/08/2021                       1
22REF201/08/201901/08/2022                       1
22REF301/07/201701/08/2019                        0
44REF401/09/201901/09/2020                        1
44REF501/07/201701/08/2019                        0
66REF601/01/202001/08/2020                        0
77REF702/01/202002/09/2020                       1
88REF803/01/202003/01/2020                       0
99REF904/01/202004/01/2020                       0
1010REF1005/01/202005/01/2020                       0

I have also use CountRows function and DatesinPeriod function

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MYDATASTORY 

I use your sample table and build a calender table.

1.png

Build a slicer by Date value in calendar table.

calendar = CALENDAR(MIN('Table'[Start DateEnd]),MAX('Table'[End Date]))

Build a relationship between two tables: 

5.png

I build a calculated column to mark the player whose End Date > today() be Valid Contract.

Valid Contract = IF('Table'[End Date]>=TODAY(),1,0)

Result:

2.png

And make people who has valid contract be Starters, people who don't have any valid contract be Leavers.

M_Valid Contract = IF(MAX('Table'[End Date])>=TODAY(),1,0)

Starter = 
var _min = MINX(calendar,calendar[Date])
var _max = MAXX(calendar,calendar[Date])
return
CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Player Id ]),FILTER('Table',_min<= 'Table'[Start DateEnd]&&_max>= 'Table'[End Date]&&[M_Valid Contract]=1))
Measure = 
SUMX(FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Player Id ]=SUM('Table'[Player Id ])),[M_Valid Contract])
Leaver = 
return
CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Player Id ]),FILTER('Table',_min<= 'Table'[Start Date]&&_max>= 'Table'[End Date]&&[Measure]=0))

Result:

3.png

Date between 2019/12/31 and 2020/12/31

4.png

If my reply still couldn't help you solve your problem, please show me more details about your request.

Could you show me your logic just like which 3 players will be starters and which 6 players will be leavers? I can find only 8 different players in your example.  And please tell me your logic to judge a player a starter or a leaver. You can share your pbix file with me by your OneDrive for business.

You can download the pbix file from this link: How to calculate Starters and Leavers

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MYDATASTORY 

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it. Or you are still confused about it, please provide me with more details about your calculate logic and your problem or share me with your pbix file from your Onedrive for Business.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

Hi @v-rzhou-msft  thanks so much, not yet, let me get more dummy data and I can share, but definitely in the right direction, I will come back to you shortly once I have recompiled a more comprehensive dummy data and share a pbix file with dummy data.

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MYDATASTORY 

I use your sample table and build a calender table.

1.png

Build a slicer by Date value in calendar table.

calendar = CALENDAR(MIN('Table'[Start DateEnd]),MAX('Table'[End Date]))

Build a relationship between two tables: 

5.png

I build a calculated column to mark the player whose End Date > today() be Valid Contract.

Valid Contract = IF('Table'[End Date]>=TODAY(),1,0)

Result:

2.png

And make people who has valid contract be Starters, people who don't have any valid contract be Leavers.

M_Valid Contract = IF(MAX('Table'[End Date])>=TODAY(),1,0)

Starter = 
return
CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Player Id ]),FILTER('Table',_min<= 'Table'[Start DateEnd]&&_max>= 'Table'[End Date]&&[M_Valid Contract]=1))
Measure = 
SUMX(FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Player Id ]=SUM('Table'[Player Id ])),[M_Valid Contract])
Leaver = 
return
CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Player Id ]),FILTER('Table',_min<= 'Table'[Start Date]&&_max>= 'Table'[End Date]&&[Measure]=0))

Result:

3.png

Date between 2019/12/31 and 2020/12/31

4.png

If my reply still couldn't help you solve your problem, please show me more details about your request.

Could you show me your logic just like which 3 players will be starters and which 6 players will be leavers? I can find only 8 different players in your example.  And please tell me your logic to judge a player a starter or a leaver. You can share your pbix file with me by your OneDrive for business.

You can download the pbix file from this link: How to calculate Starters and Leavers

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@MYDATASTORY , Can you share sample data and sample output in table format?

See if this can help

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-tr...

@amitchandak  Thanks for the link, please see the updated table with dummy data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.