Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

a4
Helper III
Helper III

How to calculate Prorata Value for a given year(Club year)

Hi ,
I have a table which contains a perday value of Gross Tonnage.I have two others columns startdate and enddate.(For ex: start date is 3/12/2018 and enddate is 3/12/2020).I have a caculated column which looks at the start date and if  startdate is less than 20th feb then year  falls in the previous year and if startdate is more than 20th of feb then year falls in the same year.We call this year as a club year.

Below is my formula for club year:

Actual(Club year) = IF(DATE(quotedetails[_startdate].[Year],2,20)>quotedetails[_startdate].[Date],quotedetails[_startdate].[Year]-1,quotedetails[_startdate].[Year])

I am using this column(Club year) as a slicer in my report.

The startdate and endate is for a particular policy.

I want to calculate the Prorata Gross Tonnage on yearly basis depending upon start date and endate.Suppose if a policy has a start date 2/23/2019 and end date 2/25/2021 the I want to calculate Prorata Gross Tonnage for each year(Club year).

Please refer below screenshot for better understanding.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

I change my original test table to this:

3.PNG

Then try this column:

Club Year = IF('Table'[Start Date]<DATE(YEAR('Table'[Start Date]),2,20),YEAR('Table'[Start Date])-1&"- Club Year",YEAR('Table'[Start Date])&"- Club Year")

It shows:

6.PNG

Then create a measure:

Measure = SUM('Table'[Gross Tonnage])*COUNTROWS('Table')

Choose one club year in slicer, the result shows:

5.PNG

Best Regards,

Giotto Zhi

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-gizhi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,

According to your description, i create a sample to test:

1.PNG

Then please try this column:

Club Year = IF('Table'[Date]<DATE(YEAR('Table'[Date]),2,20),YEAR('Table'[Date])-1&"- Club Year",YEAR('Table'[Date])&"- Club Year")

Choose this column and [Gross Tonnage] as a table visual, it shows the total values of each club year:

2.PNG

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Giotto Zhi

Hi Giotto
Thanks for your reply. There is no extra column of date in my table, it's just the start date and end date.
And a club year logic(20th feb of year to 20th of feb of next year) which is used as a slicer.I need to multiply the perdaygrosstonnage with no.of effective days in the particular club year and show that as a sum for all the policies.

Kind regards
Amit Kumar

Hi,

I change my original test table to this:

3.PNG

Then try this column:

Club Year = IF('Table'[Start Date]<DATE(YEAR('Table'[Start Date]),2,20),YEAR('Table'[Start Date])-1&"- Club Year",YEAR('Table'[Start Date])&"- Club Year")

It shows:

6.PNG

Then create a measure:

Measure = SUM('Table'[Gross Tonnage])*COUNTROWS('Table')

Choose one club year in slicer, the result shows:

5.PNG

Best Regards,

Giotto Zhi

Tad17
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey @a4 

I don't see the screenshot you mention, but I am currently experiencing wifi problems so that may just be me.

I believe all you need is the SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR function found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/sameperiodlastyear-function-dax

If you need it to interact with your slicer you can use the SELECTEDVALUE function to do that: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/selectedvalue-function

Examples: https://powerpivotpro.com/2018/02/using-selectedvalues-capture-power-bi-slicer-selections/

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50929240/how-to-capture-slicer-value-by-dax-measure

If this helps please kudo.

If this solves your problem please accept it as a solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.