Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

newpi
Helper V
Helper V

How to build a timeline view in Power BI similar to tableau

Hi,

I'm working to build a timeline view with time on x axis, users on Y axis and category and its values mapping those axis.

Below is the example to it in Tableau. Can't seem to find a view that serves this purpose in Power BI. I already tried using timeline chart on Power BI but I'm unable to stack different category values. I have all the data, I'm just tring to figure out the view

How to read the data?  Each bar is for a particular user and their category over time. The colors in that bar represent a category value (eg: meeting, non meeting, break)Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 1.54.15 PM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It looks like the end date field is not being used.  I suspect that all the rectangles are extending all the way to the right and you are just seeing the last one.  Can you just add a calculated column that adds the same amount to each start date, and use that in the End Date field?

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Have you tried a dot plot like the one at this link

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/WA104381101?tab=Overview

Also, this would be doable with Charticulator.  It's a no-code DIY build your own visual solution provided by Microsoft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quKFfLkp4Ck

You could also consider if you could get a scatter chart or matrix visual to look this that.  See this link on how to make a matrix into a heatmap (yours maybe has too many columns).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCq9Nz8K_Cs

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

Thanks @mahoneypat I'll give this a try

HI @mahoneypat @Greg_Deckler 

I could almost achieve this with the 'As Timeline chart. Attached is my visual. However, if you see in the end, the last activity keeps dragging till the end. I know this has something to do with the end time field but I'm unable to figure it out. Want the chart to end at the last activity. Any suggestions? Want to get rid of those yellow and green lines in the end. Have already tried adding same start date field in end data but its not working.

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 9.37.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 9.28.49 PM.png

It looks like the end date field is not being used.  I suspect that all the rectangles are extending all the way to the right and you are just seeing the last one.  Can you just add a calculated column that adds the same amount to each start date, and use that in the End Date field?

Regards,

Pat

Thanks @mahoneypat . I was playing with the same end date thing and it worked. Very similar to your solution here. Just that I had to add some time to end date field (59secs) to show a bigger rectangle for that minute. With Start date = End date, the graph was fine but the rectangle was very small.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@NewB - Well, if you have checked AppSource for third-party visuals and not found anything suitable like a Gantt chart, etc. There is this: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Text-Gantt-Chart/m-p/253466#M57

I have been experimenting with an SVG way of doing something similar in a separate thread: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Combine-Table-amp-Stacked-Bar-Chart/m-p/1121776#M512898

And then you have Python and R visuals.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler Thnaks for pointing me to this direction. However I'm not an advanced user and would not be able to build a custom visual at this point with the time constraint I'm working on. Let me know if you have figured this out or if there is a way around.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.