Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AW1976NOVA
Post Patron
Post Patron

How to avoid having to create a duplicate table to build a unique identifier table

Hi,

I have a large excel table (Table A) I'm bringing into Power BI.  In order to create a slicer so this (Table A) can 'communicate' with another table (Table B) I've duplicated (Table A) in Power Query, removed all other columns other than the [Member_ID] column and removed duplicates.

The result is a new table with unique [Member_ID]s.

While this works perfectly and allows me to use this new table (Table C) as a slicer...I was wondering if there was another simpler way to accomplish this.  My concern is how this duplication of (Table A) does to the size of my dashboard.

Is there any other way to create a unique identifier table using my 'Table A'[Member_ID] field without having to duplicate (Table A)...removing all other columns and removing duplicate values of [Member_ID]?

Thank you,

Andrew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
VijayP
Super User
Super User

@AW1976NOVA 

In Power Query Editor , select Table A and select the memberID Column and Right Click and Add new query - Ref Pic1

With This A new List will be added alongwith Queries, Conver that Query to Table - Ref Pic2

And then remove Duplications From the Table - Ref Pic3

Hope this Helps you. If you find this as solution please Mark as solution and share your Kudos

Also2020-09-17_184038.png you can watch my Videos on www.youtube.com/perepavijay

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
VijayP
Super User
Super User

@AW1976NOVA 

In Power Query Editor , select Table A and select the memberID Column and Right Click and Add new query - Ref Pic1

With This A new List will be added alongwith Queries, Conver that Query to Table - Ref Pic2

And then remove Duplications From the Table - Ref Pic3

Hope this Helps you. If you find this as solution please Mark as solution and share your Kudos

Also2020-09-17_184038.png you can watch my Videos on www.youtube.com/perepavijay

MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Thank you.  This made the process much easier in creating the table.

@AW1976NOVA  

Thanks ! If you find this is a solution for you Please mark this as Solution!

Regards

Vijay Perepa

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.