Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to avoid data refreshing when applying query changes?

Hi,

I have a Power BI report that purposely is not refreshed anymore due to the need to reflect the data as how it was stored at a certain point in time a while ago. Now there is a need to make a change to the fact table in query editor, but when I apply the change the data refreshes. Is there a way to avoid this? Refresh is already disabled for all tables (enable load is on though). The change is an appendment of rows from a manually entered table (basically a correction file), so I don't think I can solve this via DAX. Any ideas?

BR

Emma With

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Quick-and-dirty fix:

View your static table(s) in the Data view, right click on the table, select 'Copy table', paste to Excel/Access/Other in order to save as static position. Reconnect Power Query to this static source.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
asaetrang
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I struggle with a similar issue.

When I add a new table in Power Query through a dataflow and apply the changes, it does not only load the new table but also loads my existing fact table even though I haven't done any changes to it. The loading time is therefore increased significantly since the fact table contains almost 2 million rows. Is there a way I can prevent this from happening?

I have tried to disable "Include in report refresh" without any luck, and disabling "Enable load" is not an option since this table is basically the base of the report.

v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

The table will refresh if changes to the APPLIED STEPS pane are detected. There is no way to prevent a refresh from happening if you modify a step. If you change the data in the data source but the APPLIED STEPS pane has not changed, it will not be refreshed. You can do it manually.

v-angzheng-msft_0-1623739358408.png

Unfortunately there is no way to stop the data from refreshing, the method mentioned above might be a good one to try.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I thought this might be the case, but was hoping there was a way to work around it!

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Quick-and-dirty fix:

View your static table(s) in the Data view, right click on the table, select 'Copy table', paste to Excel/Access/Other in order to save as static position. Reconnect Power Query to this static source.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Went for this solution in the end, thanks for the suggestion!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give it a go if there's no other way. The table is quite large though and is the basis for many DAX columns and measures in my report, so a bit worried I'll mess it up. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.