Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to automatically apply steps to imported documents?

This is very simple. 

I have a report in which excel files are imported in. The excel files always have the same format, the only thing that I have to do with it before I can use the values is to filter some stuff out.

At the moment I always click on "Transfer Data" and add these steps to the query, but as it's always the same it would make sense if the program would do that automatically.

Is there a way to do that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

"The User will open the report and import a file. Then he should directly see all visuals without having to apply the steps again."

When the user oprn the report and import a new file, visuals need to re-create based on this new data source instead of the previous data source.

You can try to filter the data based on the data source directly so that users who open this report just refresh the report and the visuals will show the corresponding values.

In addition, it also sounds like you want different users to see different data from the report. If so, you can also try to use RLS to limit data visit instead of importing files for each users every time. Please refer: Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Why you need to do it again. Power bi should repeat steps on new file Or refresh.

Are you getting a different file each time? Have tried changing the source

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it's a new file. The User will open the report and import a file. Then he should directly see all visuals without having to apply the steps again.

Hi @Anonymous ,

"The User will open the report and import a file. Then he should directly see all visuals without having to apply the steps again."

When the user oprn the report and import a new file, visuals need to re-create based on this new data source instead of the previous data source.

You can try to filter the data based on the data source directly so that users who open this report just refresh the report and the visuals will show the corresponding values.

In addition, it also sounds like you want different users to see different data from the report. If so, you can also try to use RLS to limit data visit instead of importing files for each users every time. Please refer: Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Anonymous ,
If the new file is put into the same folder as the old one, it will be imported the same way, and all the steps and visuals will be the same. Or you can look into creating a parameter to get the path to the file.  However, these will only work if the files are set up with exactly the same format.

Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos 👍are nice too.
Nathaniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please  be more specific.  It may help to read this. Get your question answered quickly 

Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos 👍are nice too.
Nathaniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

fixed

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.