Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rakesh_singh
Regular Visitor

How to auto refresh report data using direct query ?

Hello,

I have created a report in Power BI desktop using DIRECT QUERY option then i have saved and published it.

Then after i have inserted a new record in that table which is using in this report through MVC application.

When i have refreshed my report which opened in brower other tab through the published URL, but it is not refresh my report data.

In power bi app online showing below message regarding auto schedule refresh.

"This dataset connects to a source with DirectQuery, which is always up-to-date. You don't have to schedule a refresh on this dataset."

Can any one suggest how to auto refresh report data which is created by DIRECT QUERY option?

Thanks

Rakesh Singh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @rakesh_singh,

As per this article, in Power BI Service, if your dataset is configured for a DirectQuery connection, there is a direct connection between Power BI and the database, there is no need to schedule refreshed, and datasets are refreshed approximately each hour or when interaction with the data occurs.

In addition, do you use “Publish to web” feature and embed Power BI reports in your application? And you note that the report in your application is not updated after inserting a new record in the table? If that is the case, according to this document, data refreshes are automatically reflected in your embedded report or visual,  after refresh occurs in Power BI Service reports , it can take approximately 1 hour for refreshed data to be visible from embed codes.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
edubf22

Replying just because it seems some users wanted the page to auto-refresh without the user performing any action - this is useful for when the report is being displayed in a monitor, for example.

Select the page you want to be refreshed. Go to the 'Visualizations' pane, and click on 'Format page'. Turn on 'Page refresh', and expand the tab to edit how frequently the automatic page refresh will take place.

edubf22_0-1704466838914.png

Source: Automatic page refresh in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

jame5_blonde
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

But if we need to refresh the data without an interaction with the report. As in automate the refresh button, with the ability to refresh every 1-60 seconds.

In our case we´ve built a report for a monitor-dashboard that needs to be refreshed at least every third second,
This is a way to keep working with measures and get the sensation of "realtime" reporting

We´ve tried, streaming, push and hybrid but we can´t use measures (REST API is not an option)
We need this, asap

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi - did you find a solution to this problem?

We're currently experiencing a similar requirement - as I understand it, DirectQuery can refresh every 15mins, or on a users click, but we need the report to refresh more often than this, and without any user interaction (The report is going to be displayed on a large screen for customers to see at any point with live, or as close to live as possible, information).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Vicky

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any news / solution to this problem?

We have the same situation: DirectQuery (or even mixed) Dataset published in a "publish-to-web Version".

Is there any way to disable the Webcache and force an automatic refresh?

I thought about a button to send a query to the DirectQuery connection but I do not have a solution yet...

Any ideas?

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @rakesh_singh,

As per this article, in Power BI Service, if your dataset is configured for a DirectQuery connection, there is a direct connection between Power BI and the database, there is no need to schedule refreshed, and datasets are refreshed approximately each hour or when interaction with the data occurs.

In addition, do you use “Publish to web” feature and embed Power BI reports in your application? And you note that the report in your application is not updated after inserting a new record in the table? If that is the case, according to this document, data refreshes are automatically reflected in your embedded report or visual,  after refresh occurs in Power BI Service reports , it can take approximately 1 hour for refreshed data to be visible from embed codes.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @rakesh_singh

According to this page you should just need to 

"Power BI Desktop uses recent data to reduce the time required to display the visualization. Selecting Refresh from the Home ribbon will ensure all visualizations are refreshed with current data.'

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-use-directquery/

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.