Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to authenticate Web data source: REST API with AAD token access

I am trying to access data from REST WEB API protected by AAD token. How can I dynamically pass AAD token to be used in data source header to get authorized and retrive data from API.

5 REPLIES 5
Seward12533
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I struggled with somethig similar for a JSON query, after mucking around with it for a while I got this work.  Not sure if it the same for REST API but may help you.

snip_20180812000125.png

let
    Source = Web.Contents("https://www.wrike.com/api/v3/customfields",
                [Headers=[#"Authorization"="bearer m5W.......,FIUK"]
                ]),
    convertToJson = Json.Document(Source),
    data = convertToJson[data],
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(data, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"id", "title", "type"}, {"id", "title", "type"})
in
    #"Expanded Column1"

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also facing the same issue. 

Below is my query to configure the data source

let
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://www.myapirul.com", [Headers=[Authorization=#"AuthenticationToken"]])),
chartMaintenances = Source[chartMaintenances],
#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(chartMaintenances, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Ignore),
#"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"WorkOrderNo", "MaintenanceID", "MaintenanceType", "MaintenancePart", "Description", "RaisedBy", "DaysOpen"}, {"Column1.WorkOrderNo", "Column1.MaintenanceID", "Column1.MaintenanceType", "Column1.MaintenancePart", "Column1.Description", "Column1.RaisedBy", "Column1.DaysOpen"})
in
#"Expanded Column1"

where AuthenticationToken is the parameter I have created.  When I execute this in PowerBi desktop application, it runs successfully and retrieves the value from the created parameter AuthenticationToken. Now I have doubts about how to pass AuthenticationToken parameter value from embedded power bi application using .net mvc

@Seward12533 In my case I have to get an idenity first which a Guid returned from the backend when user name and password are provided.  It's one API call. Then using that idenity get a token which is another API. Then pull actuall data with that token and that is a third API call. Any scenario for that?

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply. I am creating report which will be used by different customers with different AAD token values. Is there a way to pass AAD token value programatically to authorization header instead of hard coding it.  

You can use parameters there are many related solutions in the forum for that try searching parameters PowerQuery and if you can’t find what your looking for post a new question.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.