cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rzavgazaryan
Helper III
Helper III

How to approach this project-data model?

Hello,

How do I approach this project?

2 Data Model Scenarios
1) I have 20 clients and 20 consultants. I have two separate spreadsheets. One table has client name and all other attributes, the other has consultant name and all other attributes. How do I create data model to map which consultant works on which client? So I can visualize this on a dashboard?

2) I have another CSV file with the same data, but in this case, it's a many to many relationship between consultant and client. So it will show multiple client rows to reflect the multiple consultants working on the clients? How do I correctly data model this?

I don't know how to approach this. Please provide some advice if you have any.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BA_Pete
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @rzavgazaryan ,

I sounds like both of the tables that you have described are dimension tables (i.e. both have a unique client/consultant code and other descriptive information about them).

As such, you need a fact table which records information around the projects that have been completed or are in progress, with information such as [projectNumber], [clientNumber], [projectStartDate], [projectEndDate], [consultantNumber], [hoursWorked], [dateHoursWorked] and so on.

From this point, you relate your two dimension tables to the fact table and this gives you the beginnings of a basic star-schema model on which to build your report. You will also want to add a calendar table to your model and relate it to relevant date fields in your fact table.

You would use fields from your dimension/calendar tables as axes or descriptors in visuals, and you would calculate your measures and metrics from the fact table.

Pete

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
BA_Pete
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @rzavgazaryan ,

I sounds like both of the tables that you have described are dimension tables (i.e. both have a unique client/consultant code and other descriptive information about them).

As such, you need a fact table which records information around the projects that have been completed or are in progress, with information such as [projectNumber], [clientNumber], [projectStartDate], [projectEndDate], [consultantNumber], [hoursWorked], [dateHoursWorked] and so on.

From this point, you relate your two dimension tables to the fact table and this gives you the beginnings of a basic star-schema model on which to build your report. You will also want to add a calendar table to your model and relate it to relevant date fields in your fact table.

You would use fields from your dimension/calendar tables as axes or descriptors in visuals, and you would calculate your measures and metrics from the fact table.

Pete

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

MBAS on Demand

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Microsoft named a Leader in The Forrester Wave

Microsoft received the highest score of any vendor in both the strategy and current offering categories.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Top Solution Authors