Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DWJames
Regular Visitor

How to append quotation marks to a text string?

Hi All,

I have successfully used the combine.text function to adapt my incoming data stream into the format I want and this is going great, but I have a specific text string which I need to append a quotation mark to, but I can't work out the syntax to do so.

All I need is the ability to change 123 to be 123" 

What is the syntax for treating a quotation mark as a text string?

so I can write

Text.Combine({[#"raw_width"],"text"},"")

which gives me 123text as an output

but what can I replace "text" with in order to give an output of 123" ?

thanks in advance,

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
itayrom
Resolver II
Resolver II

In Power Query, the escape character for a quotation mark inside a string is represented as ""(two quotation marks).

For example, a string containing a single quotation mark would be written as

""""

(four quotation marks), which just so happens to be the string with which your "text" string should be replaced.

EDITED:

Apparently, you can't post here four quotation marks in a row outside of a "code element".

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to append quotation marks to a text string while using Push Data API ? I am gettiing Bad Request message.

dineshkalla

Convert double quote into %22 while hitting the url

itayrom
Resolver II
Resolver II

In Power Query, the escape character for a quotation mark inside a string is represented as ""(two quotation marks).

For example, a string containing a single quotation mark would be written as

""""

(four quotation marks), which just so happens to be the string with which your "text" string should be replaced.

EDITED:

Apparently, you can't post here four quotation marks in a row outside of a "code element".

Note that the results of copying from the Power Query preview grid will be wrapped in double-quotes. I found copying from the preview pane at the bottom worked better for me when testing. Thanks for the answer above!

works perfect 🙂 thanks for your help,

J

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

itayrom
Resolver II
Resolver II

For example, a string containing a single quotation mark would be written as """", which just so happens to be the string with which your "text" string should be replaced.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.