Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CloudMonkey
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

How to append only specified columns?

Hi,

I am appending several tables into 1 big table. I don't need all the columns so I have manually deleted the unnecessary columns after the append. Please can you tell me how to specify which columns I want to append, so that I don't have to then manually delete the columns that aren't required? Or is it not possible?

Thanks,

CM

15 REPLIES 15
bangsheadondesk
Frequent Visitor

Appending as new (otherwise you could start at second step and add to an existing query):

let
Source = Table.SelectColumns(Table1,{"Column1"}),
#"Appended Query" = Table.Combine({Source, Table.SelectColumns(Table2,{"MatchingColumn"})}),

#"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(#"AppendedQuery", {"Column1"})

in

#"Removed Duplicates"

You can test it with an index column (sort descending).

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

If this is about Power Query, then you can simply select the columns you require, rather than removing the unnecessary columns.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Hi Marcel, I'm using query editor (accessed via the "Edit Queries" button). Then I'm going to "Home" -> "Append Queries" -> "Append Queries as New", then I see the below screenshot. Please can you tell me how to select which columns to append (currently I can only see how to append entire tables)?:

screenshot append.JPG

Thanks,

CM

Actually you can't select columns during the append step, but you can select prior to, or after, the append.

What I meant, is that you can either:

• remove unwanted columns (select the columns, right-click and choose "Remove", resulting in code using Table.RemoveColumns), or
  • select required columns (select the columns, righ-click and choose "Remove Other Columns", resulting in code using Table,SelectColumns).

In below example, from Source table with columns1-10, columns1-3 result after selection/removal:

let
    Source = #table(10,{{1..10}}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(Source,{"Column1", "Column2", "Column3"}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(Source,{"Column4", "Column5", "Column6", "Column7", "Column8", "Column9", "Column10"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

So I was reacting to "I have manually deleted the unnecessary columns after the append" with the intention to state that you don't need to indicate which columns must be deleted; instead you can also indicate which columns need to be kept.

It was not my intention to state that you would be able to select columns during the append step; you can't.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

You can specify specific colums during the Append step using Table.SelectColumns, as in:

Table.Combine({#"Query 1", Table.SelectColumns(#"Query 2", "Column Name")})

can you please give example here

fatcing the specific column data from multiple tables

To append selected columns from two tables:

= Table.Combine({Source, Table.SelectColumns(#"Table 1", "Column 1"), Table.SelectColumns(#"Table 2", "Column 2")})

is this correct?

mhdilyas2008_0-1689016573025.png

BradZehr_0-1689018206161.png

Thanks for your gr8t support.

It did worked as expacted!!!

I think you want more like this:

= Table.Combine({Sheet1, Table.SelectColumns(Sheet2, ColumnName)})

= Table.Combine({Source, Table.SelectColumns(#"TableName", {"Column 1", "Column 2"})})

Sorry, that was multiple columns from the same table.

look like it is from same table.

i have multiple tables, anyway to archive.

Appreciate your support.

Hello @BradZehr,

I had the same issue. I followed the same logic that your script has, but I didn't know how to write it. As far as I understand Power Query this is the most efficient way to do what @CloudMonkey  wanted to achieve. Thank you for your help! Already implemented your code and works perfectly 😄

Super kudo for you 👍  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.