Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RCCurtis
Frequent Visitor

How to always show the "Custom Column" dialog box?

When I create a column with the "Custom Column" button and then type some combination of if statements, the column type converts to a Conditional Column. If I want to edit the logic for the column, the dialog box that opens is the "Conditional Column" dialog, and I can't edit the code except to add or modify if/else statements. 

Is there any way for Power BI to ALWAYS show the "Custom Column" dialog box, and not convert the columns to Conditional Columns? 

7 REPLIES 7
SidTrengove
Advocate III
Advocate III

Hey @RCCurtis 

The way I would solve this would be to add a section to your if statement that doesnt match the traditional : if else logic.

For example here I have added an and condition to my logic of 1=1 which will always be true 😊

= if [Column1] = 1 and 1=1 then  "Flag" else "Not"

This makes sure the custom column box will always appear as this will not translate into the normal pop up window for conditional columns.

Appreciate your Kudos!

Please accept the solution if it answers your question 🙂

Easy Power BI Tutorials

Unleash the full potential of Power BI with Help Xel

Visit HelpXel
2.png

This is similar to the solution I've been using as a workaround. Unfortunate that there isn't a better way around this behavior.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RCCurtis  I don't think you can disable that but you can write or edit code in m dialog box for each step 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RCCurtis   If you have a condition in a custom column then it will open as a conditional dialog box.

Yes, I am aware of that. I am asking if there is a way to disable this behavior. I do not want to see the conditional dialog box.

Did you try refreshing it

RCCurtis
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for creating an account just to try and answer my questions. Very thoughtful of you. But nope refreshing it didn't help. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.