Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ErikOmni
Helper I
Helper I

How to allocate shipping cost per order down to each order row

Hi!

So I've been struggling with an issue now for quite a while. 

What I have: I have shipping cost per order (unique orderID for each order) in one table and orderdata with each row representing an ordered item in a different table. I want to allocate the cost per order down to each order row.

I've done a couple of different attempts at this (calculated columns, measures to calculate total order rows) some of them kind of do the trick, but I keep running up on different issues when I slice my analytical work into different dimension. Basically, the numbers doesn't fully add up.

So I have come to the conclusion that I need to solve it by creating custom columns in the table with the Orderdata.

What I want to do: I have created a custom column called "Shipping cost adjusted", which is the the total Shipping cost for the orderID for all order row types that contain "Product" (some contain "Freight"). Next step should be to create a custom column for the total number of order rows for the unique OrderID. Thereafter I can create a new custom column dividing Shipping cost adjusted / total number of order rows for the unique ID. That should make it 100% waterproof that cost is allocated properly on SKU level. See below for example. 

OrderID 40086 contains three order rows. So the custom column should return a 3 on each order row for 40086. That gives me a cost of 15 per SKU, and once I sum it up I get the total cost of 45.

ErikOmni_0-1663790534817.png

Any thoughts on how to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ErikOmni ,

Had to rethink this one as I'd missed step in the previous code and when I added it the performance wasn't the best. Please see code below in the excel you sent me. You can go to advanced editor and copy it into your model.

Did I help you today? Please accept my solution and hit the Kudos button.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
davehus
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @ErikOmni, Can you send me a sanitised version of the data in a table. So I have the full structure and I'll see what I can do. 

davehus
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @ErikOmni ,

Create a custom column in Power Query like below.

List.Count(Table.SelectRows(

#"Changed Type", //Comment change to previous step in your power query

each [OrderID]=[OrderID]

)[OrderID])

Hope this helps

@davehus Hi Dave! Thanks for giving it a shot. However, this didn't work (or I executed it incorrectly). It returns all order rows for the entire order data. See below:

ErikOmni_0-1663829716209.png

ErikOmni_1-1663829721998.png

Any thoughts on that?

Hi @ErikOmni ,

Had to rethink this one as I'd missed step in the previous code and when I added it the performance wasn't the best. Please see code below in the excel you sent me. You can go to advanced editor and copy it into your model.

Thank you! @davehus 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.