Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JRHans09
Resolver II
Resolver II

How to adjust DAX to use a measure instead of a calculated column

I would like to use the following DAX in a measure and place the measure in a table (currently it is a calculated column and works correctly):

USDSell3 = 
VAR BaseSellExcl =
CALCULATE(
    SUMX(
        Services,
        Services[BaseSell] - Services[BaseSellTax]
    ),
    Services[InclRev] = "Y"
)

VAR Result =
CALCULATE(
    BaseSellExcl * [Fx to USD]
)

RETURN
Result

The Fx to USD (measure) reference in the calculated column above is here:

Fx to USD = 
IF(
    SELECTEDVALUE( Job[Base Currency] ) = "USD",
    MAXX(
        TOPN(
            FILTER(
                ALL( ForexRates ),
                ForexRates[Base Currency] = SELECTEDVALUE( Job[Base Currency] )
                    && ForexRates[Forex Date] <= MAX( Job[DateService] )
                ),
            ForexRates[Forex Date], DESC
            ),
        ForexRates[Debtor Rate]
        )
)

The Services Table and the Jobs Table are linked by a unique job reference number (key ID).

Currently, I have written DAX in both a measure and a calculated column, but only when I place the calculated column into a table visual (with other data from the Jobs table) do the values appear correctly. If I try to place the measure into the table visual (with data from the Jobs table), I get multiple records with unrelated data (presumably due to filter context), and only after extended load time.

Here is sample screen shot of the Jobs table visual:

JRHans09_0-1620085102153.png

USDSell3 (calculated column) in the above appears correctly.

Here is a sample screen shot of the Services table visual:

JRHans09_1-1620086039538.png

USDSell (measure) in the above appears correctly. It is the same DAX code from USDSell3(calculated column), but in a measure,

Is it possible to adjust the DAX to be used in a measure so that I can place that measure into the Jobs Table, with correct data appearing, instead of calculated columns? I have read that in most cases it is best to create measures vs calculated columns, but I cannot figure out the filter context in the DAX to use a measure. I would eventually create four more measures for Margin, Margin%, etc. and would prefer to use measures, if possible.

Thanks in advance for the help. Please let me know if additional information is needed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JRHans09
Resolver II
Resolver II

I solved the problem by creating calculated columns in each of the related tables with the following DAX:

USDSell3 = 
VAR BaseSellExcl =
CALCULATE(
    SUMX(
        Services,
    ),
    Services[InclRev] = "Y"
)

VAR Result =
CALCULATE(
)

RETURN
Result

After those calculated columns were created, which maintains the filter context, I created multiple measures related to these columns - for margin, margin percentage, etc.. The added value of this solution is that with measures, Conditional Formatting for the measures is possible within the tables (font, background, etc.), without having to create additional measures to 'flag' the values for use in conditional formatting.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JRHans09
Resolver II
Resolver II

I solved the problem by creating calculated columns in each of the related tables with the following DAX:

USDSell3 = 
VAR BaseSellExcl =
CALCULATE(
    SUMX(
        Services,
    ),
    Services[InclRev] = "Y"
)

VAR Result =
CALCULATE(
)

RETURN
Result

After those calculated columns were created, which maintains the filter context, I created multiple measures related to these columns - for margin, margin percentage, etc.. The added value of this solution is that with measures, Conditional Formatting for the measures is possible within the tables (font, background, etc.), without having to create additional measures to 'flag' the values for use in conditional formatting.

V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JRHans09 ,

It is very difficult to analyze without looking at the data and just by imagining.

You can provide a sample pbix and include the formula you created in it, so that we can understand the context in which your formula runs, and see if we can help you rewrite the calculated column as measure.

Please remove any sensitive data before uploading.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.