Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ganapathi
Frequent Visitor

How to add multiple fields in Chart Axis ?

Hi all,

I am trying to add second field in chart axis but Power BI desktop is not letting me to do. Please find the below screenshot for your reference.

But I can do the same thing in Power View in Excel. Could you please assist me on this.

Snip.JPG

Regards,

Ganapathi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Drill down feature is not supported yet in PBI desktop..Only in excel powerview and use the PowerBI service old report canvas ( rendering engine )..The drill down feature promised to return by the Team better discoverable in the coming updates...

For now @Greg_Deckler way is the best workaround..or excel powerview ( which you cannot use any of the new visuals - as when editing in Service it will promt you to save it in the new report canvas )

Konstantinos Ioannou

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I don't believe that is a feature of Power BI Desktop yet. Can I ask why you need 2 X-axis? Probably need 2 charts with same value but different axis, one for Month and one for Week. If you have a date field, like 1/1/2015, and use that as your axis, it generally does a nice job of summarizing the display in the axis.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Drill down feature is not supported yet in PBI desktop..Only in excel powerview and use the PowerBI service old report canvas ( rendering engine )..The drill down feature promised to return by the Team better discoverable in the coming updates...

For now @Greg_Deckler way is the best workaround..or excel powerview ( which you cannot use any of the new visuals - as when editing in Service it will promt you to save it in the new report canvas )

Konstantinos Ioannou

We have recently added the ability to drill down in visuals, so you should be able to drop multiple fields into that area! Hope that helps Will

DataSnip.JPG

Drill down isn't helpful in my use case.  I need multiple values on the X-axis to give me an 'at-a-glance' view comparing two sets of data.

In my case I specifically need to graph the throughput of a storage solution in MB/second on the y-axis, and the following items in descending order on the X axis:

Queue Depth

Block Size

Random / Sequential

Read / Write mix

As you can see, this produces a set of 'mountains' which correspond to Random Read at various block sizes and queue depths, Sequential Read at various block sizes and queue depths, Random Write at various block sizes and queue depths, and Sequential Write at various block sizes and queue depths.  Each storage solution gives me a single line which tells me how each solution does under the workload represented by those mountains.  Drill down would completely remove the at-a-glance nature of my reporting.

Edit: nevermind, the screen I was on is too small to see what you were referring to in your screenshot.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.